Expansion of BW-3 gets a step further

Buffalo Wild Wings, formally BW-3, 529 State St., has continued on to the next step for its outdoor dining and recreation center.

Madison’s Urban Design Commission passed a proposal for Buffalo Wild Wings to begin the construction of an outdoor volleyball court Wednesday night.

Since 1997, owner Greg Meyers has been working to finalize an outdoor volleyball court on State Street. After several attempts, he has finally accomplished his goal with recommended revisions from the commission.

After updating the seating, containment netting and landscaping, Meyers can now move ahead to meet with the City Plan Commission to finalize his project.

“I raised [the idea] that this did not belong on State Street, but I have since been persuaded,” said commission member Robert March, “But the general atmosphere of State Street will be enhanced by this.”

The proposal passed under the condition that Meyers will return to the commission with a finalized plan for lighting of the area. The commission would like to see the lighting adjusted to prevent glare to individuals who are observing or participating in events in the area.

Being temporary, the area will allow for additional lighting to be constructed, as well using as current lighting structures in the lot.

If the City Plan Commission passes the proposal, the lot will be transformed to a seasonal outdoor sand volleyball court, available for games from May to Augus. The court will be temporary; when not in use it will remain a parking lot. The season could begin mid-May of this year, assuming final approvals are made.

The design was created in regard to high-customer demand for outdoor volleyball and recreation. Buffalo Wild Wings will host up to 40 teams to compete in sand volleyball each season. The area will be used from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. nightly for the leagues.

“One step down, another to go,” Meyers, whose prior construction problems have stemmed from issues of permanency, said.

“I need to finalize with the landlord and also the Madison Plan Commission; I still have hopes of getting this done this season,” Meyers said.

Meyers will present his proposal for approval at the City Plan Commission meeting April 1.

Also on the Urban Design Commission’s Wednesday agenda was the construction of the Dane County Courthouse. The proposal was given final approval, granted that adjustments be made and relayed back to the commission.