Area power giant promotes efficient new plan

Students and community members have an opportunity to learn about the proposal to build a new power plant on campus at an open house today hosted by Madison Gas & Electric and UW-Madison.

The proposed facility is said to be one of the cleanest and most efficient power plants in the state and is designed to help solve a long-term energy shortage.

Natural gas will be burned to create steam to turn three turbines, generating 150 megawatts of electricity for the Madison community.

The steam produced from the process will then be harnessed to heat and cool UW campus buildings.

The plant’s use of co-generation — the combined electricity and heat production — requires significantly less fuel than separate facilities and produces fewer greenhouse gases.

“When you put the two processes together it collectively lowers emissions,” Steve Kraus, manager of media relations for MG&E said. “Carbon dioxide is lowered by 15 percent and the emission attributed to smog, nitrogen oxide, is reduced by 80 percent.”

Natural gas also has fewer emissions when compared to coal, UW’s current form of energy.

UW will reach its maximum capacity to heat and cool campus buildings very soon, Bruce Braun, assistant vice chancellor of facilities, planning and management said.

“We are on the ragged edge of chilled-water capacity already and like-wise as we add buildings we will be on the edge of needing additional heating capacity,” Braun said.

Projects like Health Star and Biostar are increasing the number of buildings on campus and additional heating. Cooling capacities are needed to continue these projects, Braun said.

MG&E’s feasibility study, which will determine the need for the plant, is set for completion within the month.

The plan will be put forth to the Board of Regents and, if approved, construction could begin as early as 2003 and operational in 2004.

“If we can come to an agreement on cost then I think this project has a very good chance of being approved by both the regents and state Building Commission,” Braun said.

The co-generation plant will be located on the west side of campus on 4.5 acres of land already set aside for a power plant in the UW’s master plan.

MG&E will own and operate the facility and will have access to the additional steam and water for heating and cooling its buildings.

Currently, the site is home experimental gardens, which will most likely have to be moved.

Despite its planned efficiency, the plant will still produce greenhouse gasses, which are thought to contribute to global warming. However, no major concerns have been voiced about the plant as of yet.

The open house is being held at Best Western, 2424 University Ave. from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. today and is open to the general public.

“It is an educational time for the general public to come in,” Kraus said. “We would really like to hear some of the concerns of folks, and we would like to also hear from people who support it.”