ASM, police warn against burglaries over spring break

In preparation for spring break, The Badger Herald is doing a three-part series examining spring break; today we look at home security while students are away.

As spring break approaches, students are more concerned about getting into a bathing suit than safeguarding their homes or apartments from a break-in. However, spring and winter break are times when students are most likely to have their homes burglarized.

ASM’s Campus Safety Campaign held a panel discussion Tuesday night on home security during vacations. Madison police officer Tim Strassman said security precautions are important.

“Historically, in the past five to six years, student vacation times are a very bad period for break-ins,” Strassman said. “Thieves know no one is around, and they have all the time in the world to look around and fewer witnesses to see them.”

In a town populated by students, burglary is still a serious problem, said Jisoo Kim, Campus Safety Campaign intern.

“Even though Madison is known as one of the safest cities, break-ins are a common crime,” Kim said. “In fact, burglary is the third-most-committed crime on campus.”

Strassman said burglars are most concerned about being seen or heard and want to avoid any confrontations with residents. Therefore, crime increases during vacation times when most residents are out of town.

UW senior Cara Hendershot came back from winter break to find her door ajar and her apartment ransacked, one of four apartments to be burglarized in the building.

“They went through my drawers and took some cash. I felt very violated,” Hendershot said.

Officer Strassman noted that university housing and managed buildings are less likely to be burglarized because of staff presence. Also, many of the buildings with higher rent tend to have security cameras in the hallways, which is a deterrent to most burglars. Smaller houses with multiple apartments are more likely to be hit, where burglars can see mail piling up and have no staff to worry about. Strassman also said over break, burglars will go into student apartment complexes going from apartment to apartment checking for open doors, since they are not concerned about being seen by residents.

There are several precautions students can take to safeguard their homes and apartments from a break-in: make sure all windows and doors are locked (with deadbolts), keep a light on and shut all blinds or curtains.

“If a burglar can see valuable items (rows of DVDs, expensive electronic equipment or laptops) from the windows, they are more likely to try and break in,” Strassman said.

He recommends writing down the serial numbers of valuable equipment such as laptops so that if they are stolen, the serial numbers can help track down the suspects. Strassman also said students should get renter’s or homeowner’s insurance in the event they are victims of a burglary.

Due to an increase in burglaries, neighborhood police are especially aware, Strassman said.

“Patrol officers know students are gone and will try to pay extra attention to suspicious activity in student neighborhoods,” he said.