Celebrating freedom of information

In today’s world, where every day, week and month commemorates something, it is easy for many special occasions to slip through the cracks with little recognition. One example is March 16 — freedom of information day.

Every state in the union has open records laws, which are regularly used by journalists to keep a check on the government. And now, with the United States fighting a war on terrorism in Afghanistan, open records laws offer journalists a way to view the action.

Two weeks ago the Pentagon proposed a strategic information office, which would have been in charge of disseminating information to overseas publications. Shortly after its announcement, the office was criticized because many claimed it would provide false information to foreign journalists. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld rejected the proposal for the office shortly after its announcement stating: “The office has clearly been so damaged that it is pretty clear to me that it could not function effectively.”

Last week the Bush administration was criticized for not informing top FBI and New York officials about the threat of a nuclear bomb in New York City, which had the potential to level Manhattan and kill over 100,000 people. The threat was false, but officials such as former Mayor Rudy Gulliani and Gov. George Pataki said they should have been told so they could prepare emergency response teams.

In an effort to conceal records, Bush moved his gubernatorial papers to the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library, making them inaccessible to the press. Bush also signed an executive order delaying the release of Ronald Reagan’s and other past presidents’ records; keeping them secret. Attorney General John Ashcroft told the executive branch “sound legal basis” is needed to deny a FOIA request.

Regarding the war, journalists must rely on information given by the Pentagon, because they are not allowed on the front lines in Afghanistan.

Many government officials claim releasing information, especially about a war, would pose a national security risk.

Despite the argument of protecting security, journalists still support the open records law. According to a Better Government Association study, journalists — by a ratio of 31-1 — think open records are necessary to doing their jobs well. At a ratio of 11-1, reporters think public officials are making it harder to get information through a FOIA request and are not confident legitimate FOIA requests will be honored.
Although journalists may be unhappy with government policies, the public seems to support the war and the government in all its actions.
According to the most recent Gallup Poll, 91 percent of the public approve of current U.S. military action in the war on terrorism. That number has hovered at 90 percent since Sept. 11. Likewise, 86 percent say they would “likely” support any decision Bush makes about the war. Seventy-five percent of Americans also say they approve of how the administration is handling communications with Congress.
While March 16 will probably come and go with little fanfare, (March 17 — St. Patrick’s Day, will be much more popular), the fight for open records will continue.

Katie Harbath ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.