Wisconsin could join 44 other states allowing concealed weapons

Wisconsin could join the 44 other states that have some form of legislation allowing concealed weapons.

The state Assembly passed legislation last week that would overturn the state’s ban on the concealed-weapon law, which was passed in 1878.

Florida led the way 15 years ago with advocates calling for the right to carry weapons for self-defense. Most recently, New Mexico has granted residents the right to carry concealed weapons.

The bill would allow county sheriffs to issue “concealed carry” permits to anyone over 21 who completes a training program and passes a background check. Current law forbidding convicted criminals from carrying weapons would remain intact.

Outagamie County Sheriff Brad Gehring fears the move to permit concealed weapons will encourage more people to own and carry guns, and some gun owners could be put in situations they are not qualified to handle, he told the Post Crescent.

Richard Baker, spokesman for the Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association, said each time concealed-weapons legislation is brought up, so is the notion that it means a return to the Wild West. He said that is not true.

“A lot of people have a genuine need to carry a weapon for self-defense,” Baker said. “[Some] retired police officers who have made enemies with violent criminals are no longer allowed to carry concealed weapons when they retire.”

Corrections officers and private investigators also have a legitimate use for carrying concealed weapons, Baker said.

“Corrections officers are forced to take vacation time and stay at home if they or their family members are threatened,” Baker said. “There are people who have threats made against themselves.”

Carrying concealed weapons is a means of self-defense, Baker said, for people who have restraining orders against others who have threatened them and for people who live or work in dangerous areas. Baker said a restraining order is not enough to protect a person.

“A restraining order is just a piece of paper,” Baker said. Legislation is pending in Kansas and Missouri to pass concealed-weapons laws, according to the National Rifle Association.

Aside from Wisconsin, three states — Illinois, Nebraska and Ohio –ban concealed weapons. Since 1995, this number has been cut in half.

The Fraternal Order of Police and the Law Enforcement Alliance of America — the two largest law-enforcement organizations in the country — support Wisconsin’s move to permit concealed weapons.

Nick Segina, spokesman for the Wisconsin branch of the Fraternal Order of Police said the legislation is a legitimate means of self-protection.

“Police officers on the street know the risks they face come from criminals, not law-abiding citizens,” Segina said. “This legislation is well thought-out enough to ensure the safety of citizens and police officers.”

In Assembly debate, Rep. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, argued against concealed weapons legislation. Shilling’s parents were killed in a 1993 restaurant robbery in Illinois. Shilling has since called the legislation “insane.”

To become a law, the bill must be passed by the Senate and signed by Gov. McCallum.