Rally for mining legislation to come to Capitol

Wisconsin lawmakers will be presented with a 16,000-signature petition urging members of the Assembly Environmental Committee to schedule a vote on SB 160 and SB 271 today as part of a statewide rally in support of mining legislation.

The two bills would ban cyanide in mining and close possible loopholes in environmental policy that would allow it.

“More than 16,000 state residents are strongly in favor of the ban on cyanide in mining,” said George Rock, organizer of the Wolf Watershed Educational Project. “The people have spoken, and we are more determined than ever to see that SB 160 is voted on by the committee and full Assembly before this session ends.”

Rock said transporting cyanide to mines is dangerous, as is the use of ore processing and cyanide storage at mine sites.

“We already have enough concerns about the safety and security of hazardous material shipments,” Rock said. “We should not be adding up to 200 tons a year of cyanide on our icy Wisconsin roads.”

Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said he plans to force the Assembly to vote on the two Senate bills.

“Just as they did with the mining moratorium over three years ago, the people of Wisconsin have sent the Legislature a message that they want Wisconsin protected from the potential environmental devastation caused by mining, especially a mine that will use hundreds of tons of cyanide a year,” Black said. “The people of this state want our environment protected from the kind of mining catastrophes that have occurred in other states and around the world.”

The bills were written following concern about a proposed copper and zinc mine near Crandon. The mine is owned by Broken Hill Properties, an Australian conglomerate.