Council to consider Mifflin Street bar

Mifflin Street could soon see a new restaurant and bar if the City Council votes to grant a liquor license to Kimia Lounge tonight.

The establishment, which would be located just off the Capitol Square at 14 W. Mifflin St., received unanimous support from the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee Feb. 13.

Kami Eshraghi, founder of the establishment, said he hopes to include a lounge, dining room and a secluded vista in the restaurant to incorporate themes from ancient China, Persia and Rome.

“This is going to be more or less a champagne-and-caviar establishment,” Eshraghi said.

With wine prices ranging from $20 to $150 and expensive caviar on the menu, Eshraghi said the Kimia Lounge would cater to young business professionals and attempt to discourage UW-Madison student patronage. He said he would implement a strict dress and behavior code at the establishment.

“I’m not going to stop [students] from coming in, but if they are under-aged or do not meet regulations, they will not get in,” he said. Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the council would likely grant the license, though some council members may voice concerns over the new bar’s presence downtown. A council vote to grant the license tonight would include stipulations, such as prohibiting the establishment from offering drink specials. These conditions were proposed by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which seeks to deter binge drinking around the UW-Madison campus, Verveer said. “Downtown area bars have typically been controversial,” Verveer said. “But I am quite confident the license will be granted by the council.”