Alternative spring breaks: seeking to make a difference

Chisato Unoki spent a week in both Boston and Washington, D.C. as part of a winter alternative-break trip last year. Serving meals to the poor during the day and sleeping in group shelters at night, Chisato said it was the best winter break she ever had.

“If I have a chance, I want to join alternative spring breaks again,” she said.

Founded 12 years ago, the Alternative Breaks Committee is supported by Wisconsin Union Directorate. The group’s aim is to give students a chance to learn and explore the world through volunteer work. Throughout the years, the program has given students the opportunity to travel to different parts of the United States, including Washington, Massachusetts, Florida, Arizona and Texas. Participants pay for the basic cost, which covers transportation fees, housing and administrative costs.

This year, the costs range is from $155 to $210, depending on the place. The committee added two new trips, to Glen Canyon, Utah and New York, N.Y. Other alternative spring break places include New Orleans, La.; San Juan, Texas; Eagle Butte, S.D. and Boston, Mass.

The committee is expecting about 100 participants this spring, based on the winter alternative break, for which about 200 people applied and half were chosen, depending on the quality of their applications.

Aside from doing volunteer work, students can go sightseeing and participate in local events and festivals during leisure time.

“This is an excellent opportunity for students to be exposed to a culture other than their own, as well as being in a different location without being [a] tourist,” said Rob Staude, Director of the Alternative Breaks Program. “It will be the highlight of the students’ college experiences.”

Students who are interested in experiencing an atypical spring break can pick up the application package at the Wisconsin Union Travel Center. The applications are due Feb. 15. For more information, contact Rob Staude at 262-7896.