Camp Randall renovation underway

The first phase of the Camp Randall renovation project officially began Feb. 1, bringing changes in traffic and parking access around the stadium, according to UW-Madison officials.

Parking lots 17, 18 and 19 surrounding the stadium will be closed to parking and will serve as staging areas during renovation phases.

Construction zones around Camp Randall, the Field House, the McClain Center and the Shell will restrict pedestrian access to the facilities, and pedestrian traffic through the roadway between the Shell and Camp Randall will be blocked.

The Welcome Center remains open to pedestrians from Monroe Street. Limited visitor parking is available in the lot 17 ramp.

The $100 million renovation project received unanimous approval by the City Council Jan. 8.

The plan will add 9,000 new seats, including 700 club and private seats, and will update the north, east and south sides of the 85-year-old stadium. The plan also aims to improve traffic congestion around the stadium on game days. Upon the project’s approval, UW promised to provide added police surveillance near the stadium and on Regent Street, as well as fund additional litter pickup in surrounding neighborhoods.