Campus community discusses genome ethics

The ethical issues forum committee for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences held an open discussion Wednesday on genetic ethical issues.

After a working draft of the human genome was introduced in 2000, scientists and legislatures have been struggling to come to a consensus on how new information should be used and how much personal privacy should be allocated to one’s genetic code.

Forum participants openly discussed concerns for the future and the immediate need for regulations.

“This kind of thing comes so fast that before you’ve had a chance to think about it, it’s a reality,” UW biochemistry professor Dave Nelson said. “It’s hard to put the top back on the bottle.”

By delving into the ethics surrounding the genetic code, it is clear many issues are still up for debate.

Discussion revolved around the rights of private individuals and corporations to own genes. The extent to which genes should be modified in an effort to make “better” human beings and the method by which genetic information can be kept confidential from employers and health insurance companies were addressed.

“I think what’s happened with AIDS is going to be an interesting predictor of what will happen with genetic information,” Nelson said. “Even though in principle this is kept confidential, in fact insurance companies have the leverage to make you find out.”

Biochemistry majors like UW senior Matt Wanat said they had a personal interest in the future of genetics because they will be responsible for the advancement in technologies.

“I think genetics has taken us to another step in terms of the need to regulate what is researched,” Wanat said.

Many of these technologies will be possible in the near future. Experts cautioned against their potential abuses.

“A lot of people think science fiction is the best predictor of the future,” Lisa Grabert, chair of the ethical issues forum committee, said. “Even though it’s farfetched it could potentially get to that point.”