Excerpts of President Bush’s State of the Union address

As we gather tonight, our nation is at war, our economy is in recession, and the civilized world faces unprecedented dangers. Yet the state of our union has never been stronger.

We last met in an hour of shock and suffering. In four short months, our nation has comforted the victims, begun to rebuild New York and the Pentagon, rallied a great coalition, captured, arrested and rid the world of thousands of terrorists, destroyed Afghanistan’s terrorist training camps, saved a people from starvation, and freed a country from brutal oppression.

* * *

It costs a lot to fight this war. We have spent more than a billion dollars a month, over 30 million dollars a day, and we must be prepared for future operations ? my budget includes the largest increase in defense spending in two decades, because while the price of freedom and security is high, it is never too high: whatever it costs to defend our country, we will pay it.

* * *

My call tonight is for every American to commit at least two years — 4,000 hours over the rest of your lifetime — to the service of your neighbors and your nation.

Many are already serving, and I thank you. If you aren’t sure how to help, I’ve got a good place to start. To sustain and extend the best that has emerged in America, I invite you to join the new USA Freedom Corps. The Freedom Corps will focus on three areas of need: responding in case of crisis at home, rebuilding our communities and extending American compassion throughout the world.

The text of the Democratic response to the State of the Union Address, delivered by U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt, D-Missouri.

I want to commend the president for his strong and patriotic message tonight, and I can assure you of this: There were two parties tonight in the House Chamber, but one resolve. Like generations that came before us, we will pay any price and bear any burden to make sure that this proud nation wins the first war of the 21st Century.

* * *

Now is not a time for finger-pointing or politics as usual. The men and women who are defending our freedom are not fighting for the Democratic Party or the Republican Party. They are fighting for the greatest country that has ever existed on earth: the United States of America.

As Americans, we need to put partisanship aside and work together to solve the problems that face us. On the day after the attacks, I went to the Oval Office for a meeting with the President. I said, “Mr. President, we have to find a way to work together.” I said, “We have to trust you — and you have to trust us.”

* * *

I refuse to accept that while we stand shoulder-to-shoulder on the war, we should stand toe-to-toe on the economy. We need to find a way to respect each other, trust each other and work together to solve the long-term challenges America faces. I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and go to work.