Students to dance overnight for pediatric AIDS

Almost 200 UW-Madison students will be dancing in the dark at this weekend’s Dance Marathon. The 18-hour dance-a-thon at Memorial Union will help raise money for pediatric AIDS.

Eric Nies, of MTV’s “The Real World” and “The Grind,” will host UW’s first Dance Marathon. Other campuses around the country already participate in the program.

“We are one of the few Big Ten campuses that has never done this,” said Heidi Chuckel, Dance Marathon advertising and public-relations representative.

The Madison Dance Marathon committee hopes to raise $25,000 for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation and Camp Heartland. Universities including Indiana and Northwestern have each raised thousands of dollars for various causes through these marathons. Last year, Penn State raised $3.6 million.

The Elizabeth Glaser Foundation, the largest nonprofit organization dedicated to pediatric AIDS, helps conduct research, while Camp Heartland helps send children with or affected by AIDS to summer camp. Both Elizabeth Glaser and Camp Heartland founder Neil Willenson are UW alumni.

“The Dance Marathon gives UW students a way to directly impact the lives of children with AIDS and to help make a difference in their lives,” Dance Marathon advertising and public-relations representative Lizzy Krueger said.

In order to participate, dancers had to raise $170 and pay a $10 registration fee. Dancers will spend almost the entire time on their feet. Free foot massages will be offered to help soothe any pains, and food will be served throughout the night.

Music will be provided by various bands, including The Mullet Hunters and Doc Grip. DJs from Z104 will help pump up the dancers, along with DJ Todd Richman. African drummers and belly dancers will also be on hand to help with the entertainment. Children who are affected by HIV and AIDS are also expected to attend portions of the dance.

“Every 45 minutes will be devoted to different acts and different types of music,” Chuckel said. “We want people to lose track of time and focus on the music.”

The Dance Marathon begins Friday night at 7 p.m. and continues through the night until 1 p.m. Saturday. Volunteers are welcome to stop by at any time to help keep an eye on people, escort dancers around and check in the bands and participants. The Dance Marathon is also accepting monetary donations.