Legislation would allow concealed weapons

Under newly-proposed legislation, Wisconsin residents would be able to carry concealed weapons after meeting certain qualifications.

The bill, proposed Tuesday state Sen. David Zien, R-Eau Claire, and Rep. Scott Gunderson, R-Waterford, would allow state residents who are over 21, take a class, pass a test and pass a background check to carry a concealed weapon.

However, even after receiving a license, people would not be able to carry weapons into taverns, schools, athletic events, police stations, jails, prisons or airports.

“Wisconsin in one of six states that doesn’t allow any concealed weapon to be carried by citizens,” Zien spokesperson Bob Seitz said. “If you are 21 years of age or older and you can submit to a background check, if you are not a violent criminal felon, then you can complete a firearm safety course and pay a fee and then you would be able to carry a concealed weapon.”

Thirty-three states have passed similar bills with the goal of reducing crime rates. The underlying idea is that citizens gain a sense of safety if they have the ability to carry concealed weapons.

“The purpose is to save lives and prevent crime,” Seitz said. “Every state that has adopted concealed weapon laws, the crime drops because criminals are less likely to commit crimes when they feel they will be deterred.”

Mike Bruhan, spokesperson for Gunderson, said the number who actually receive permits is small, but enough to deter crime.

“The added benefit is only about 2 percent actually get a permit and carry a weapon, but a criminal doesn’t know who has those, so they think twice about committing a crime,” Bruhan said.

Bruhan said crime rates dropped 24 percent in all states after the implementation of similar bills.

Murder rates fell 8.5 percent, rape fell 5 to 7 percent and aggravated assault fell 7 percent in other states, Seitz said.

Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, disagreed with the authors of the bill. He said it would not increase security.

“I think it’s a bad idea; it will lead to more fatalities,” Black said. “If people are carrying concealed weapons, small fights will lead to shootings.”

Opposition will likely come from anti-gun organizations, as well as from various legislators. Bruhan said legislation allowing retired police officers to carry concealed weapons was met with bipartisan support, and he expected the same for this bill. Black disagreed, saying the bill was not supported by a majority of legislators.

“I think it’s supported by the most extreme wing of the Republican Party,” Black said. “I don’t think it’s going anywhere.”

Seitz said those initially against the bill will change their minds once crime reduction statistics are viewed.

“Most people in Wisconsin have not thought about it, then they have a negative knee-jerk reaction,” Seitz said. “They look at facts, thinking they are going to find a reason they won’t like it, and every number and test they run trying to disprove it actually proves it.”

Black said he felt even the authors of the bill are not confident in its results.

“I don’t think the authors themselves think this is a good idea,” Black said. “They would prohibit concealed weapons in the state Capitol. The fact that they want concealed weapons, but not where they work, shows they are not in full support. If they think concealed weapons will increase security, why wouldn’t they want them in the Capitol?”