‘Study drugs’ pose danger, scientists say

You wake up at 9 a.m. and realize this is going to be a day of hell; five hours of classes during the day, followed by a visit to our good friend Helen C. White Library that will probably take up at least five hours of your evening.

You arrive at the library and plant yourself in a cubicle smaller than the average mouse pad. You take all your books out, open up to the first page of your reading, and stare at the text.

But you need something to help you stay awake, and caffeine isn’t doing the trick. For some people, “study drugs,” like Ritalin, are the answer. However, scientists say this is the wrong answer.

Ritalin, Adderall and Dexedrine are the primary prescription drugs prescribed to patients with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

“If a person who does not have this disorder consistently takes these prescribed drugs, they may become addicted, cardiovascular problems may arise and blood pressure may increase,” associate psychology professor Craig Berridge said.

These prescription drugs, sometimes called study drugs, are amphetamines, just like cocaine. Amphetamines are drugs that are both prescribed and illegal.

“If given a correct dose, [amphetamines] maintain alertness, keep one awake and enhance cognitive performance,” said Jeffrey Anders, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at University Health Services. “They stimulate certain areas of the brain for alertness and attention and are sometimes used for narcolepsy patients and as antidepressants for treating depression.”

These drugs increase the relief of two neurotransmitters, norepinephrine and dopamine, and increase arousal, attention and memory.

Despite the therapeutic effects of these drugs, they are only beneficial if prescribed to certain individuals. Everyone struggles to pay attention and stay awake when studying at least once in a while, but that does not mean that everyone has ADHD.

If taken when not prescribed, an individual’s mood may be affected adversely. People may become agitated, sleeping patterns will become inconsistent and appetite may disappear.

Despite possible adverse effects, abuse is “not uncommon,” Anders said.

Misuse and abuse of these drugs means any use not authorized by a licensed physician.

“Using a study drug once is considered misuse,” Berridge said.