Reconstruction planned for East Washington

East Washington Avenue neighborhood residents got a chance to view preliminary plans for the city of Madison’s East Washington Avenue Reconstruction Project at the first public information meeting last Thursday.

The reconstruction, scheduled to begin in 2004, includes a five-foot bike lane in each direction, the reconstruction of First Street between East Washington Avenue and Johnson Street, and enhanced pedestrian accessibility.

Response from the community has been positive.

“The project has been well-received,” project manager Matt Hintze said. “The idea of making East Washington more attractive is a pretty popular idea.”

Hintze said the only current resident concern is the traffic that will occur during construction.

Accordingly, the Project Team’s high priority is finding a safe alternative route for commuters and East Washington Avenue residents during the construction period. Alternative detours are being discussed, as are the improvement of intersections off of East Washington Avenue.

The entire plan will take place in six segments over a six-year period, with a break scheduled in 2008. The project is expected to end in 2010 after the reconstruction of the Highway 30 intersection.

East Washington Avenue, from Blair Street to Thierer Road, has been divided into five sections. Actual construction on Section One, extending from Blair Street to Thornton Avenue, will begin in 2004.

Hintze said neighborhood residents will most likely stay interested in the project throughout its various phases.

“The neighborhood is starting to get more involved,” Hintze said. “There have been more requests for me at neighborhood meetings.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the construction is long overdue.

“In many respects, the project is desperately needed,” Verveer said. “I can’t imagine anyone would be against East Washington being reconstructed and improved.”

The reconstruction will also provide an opportunity to bury unattractive overhead utility lines.

The city is strongly encouraging public involvement with the project. Four public meetings and a public hearing will be held during the course of the project.

Citizens who wish to share their opinions should contact members of the East Washington Avenue Reconstruction Project Oversight Committee, which includes Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2; Ald. Judy Olson, District 6; Ald. Kent Palmer, District 15; Ald. Santiago Rosas, District 17; and Robert Gibbons of the East Isthmus Neighborhood Planning Council.

Sonja Swenson contributed to this report.