Madison Police Department receives award

This summer, the Madison Police Department received recognition from the federal government for their help in the arena of national security.

The department received the United States Investigative Services award for helping with background checks on servicemen and women, and people with military security clearance.

In past years the federal government did background checks themselves, but due to the large number of agents that needed checks, the government looked to local departments for assistance.

Sgt. Emil Quast of the Madison Police Department said, “Because of the increased number of checks the federal government had to deal with, they contracted out the service of doing background checks, and our records department took on that responsibility.”

The Investigative Services award was not presented due to extra efforts since the attacks on Sept. 11.

The police here in Madison have not changed procedures since the attacks, but are going about their jobs as they normally do because they are prepared.
Officer Larry Kamholz said, “We have not taken any extra measures since the attacks on Sept. 11. The police are trained and already prepared for situations such as these.”