Win over Western Kentucky not the anticipated bloodbath

Wisconsin’s football game against Western Kentucky started slow, with fans gradually filing through thick security checks, and ended even slower, with UW winning 24-6 Saturday.

When the Badgers’ first drive stalled at the 18-yard line and produced only a field goal, it suggested the outcome might not be the romp many expected against the Division I-AA Hilltoppers.

Indeed, Jack Harbaugh’s team fought and scrapped but was decidedly overmatched, as two second-quarter touchdowns gave UW (3-2) a lead the defense would not relinquish.

Nick Greisen led the way as the Badgers smothered the Hilltoppers’ prolific option attack, even knocking starting quarterback Jason Johnson out of the game.
Wisconsin’s offense struggled, however. Jim Sorgi threw two interceptions and Brooks Bollinger threw for just 30 percent and was unproductive on the ground.
Anthony Davis was pulled in the third quarter when it was apparent the game was in hand, and totaled just 89 yards. However, he maintained his slot atop national rushing charts.