Urban league seeks volunteers

The Urban League of Greater Madison, in association with the Madison School-Community Recreation organization, is looking for UW-Madison students to volunteer for the Schools of Hope Tutoring Project.

Volunteers will tutor Madison middle school students struggling in math to help the Madison Metropolitan School District’s fulfill its efforts to ensure that all students complete algebra by the ninth grade.

“A majority of the 200 volunteers we had last year were UW students,” said program director Corey Lewis. “We want to have more volunteers this year.”

Volunteers will be given a brief refresher course in basic algebra and receive training on how to help students better understand math reasoning.

“There is a universal fear of math,” Lewis said. “But this is more problem-solving and critical-thinking, so anyone who has graduated from high school will be qualified.”

There are no requirements for volunteers other than a minimum contribution of one hour a week, with a commitment of at least one semester.

Volunteers can expect to tutor students in either one-on-one or small-group sessions at whatever middle school is convenient for them. Primary hours for the Schools of Hope Tutoring Project are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

“It’s like an after-school homework club where tutors can help students who are having trouble with their work,” Lewis said.

Volunteers are also needed to help in other academic subjects, to assist students who speak English as a second language, or to work extra-curricular activities at middle schools and high schools throughout Madison.

“We’ve had a number of volunteers from UW, MATC, Edgewood College and throughout the community for a variety of different things with a very positive result,” said Ed Homes, principal of James C. Wright Middle School. “We have a number of after-school sports for boys and girls, as well as in-class help for struggling students.”
Students interested in the Schools of Hope program should call Corey Lewis at 251-8550, ext. 28. Students can also attend a meeting that will be held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 3 at the Memorial Union where Linda Mcquillin, a Madison Metropolitan School District employee, will explain to volunteers the types of math they will deal with. Volunteers can also call the MMSD or various individual schools for other program information.