Hijacker may have ties to Madison

FBI investigators and the Madison Police Department are investigating a possible link to Madison from one of the hijackers in last Tuesday’s attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Ammed Alghamdi, one of the deceased hijackers, may have lived in Madison on West Gilman Street a few years ago.

Madison police have records of a person with the same name being arrested at one time in Madison. Investigators are still looking into the possible connection.

“There is a possibility that the person may have gotten arrested here, but we are still working on that,” Lt. Wayne Strong of the MPD said.

The FBI is also looking into the possible connection.

“We received info about an individual with a name similar to that of one of the deceased hijackers that at one time resided in Madison,” FBI special agent Jeffery Berkin said.

However, Berkin questioned the certainty of the claim.

“I’m told many of these names are common Arabic names similar to John Doe or John Smith in English; I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions,” he said.

The FBI has released the names of possible hijackers and their possible residences. Alghamdi’s listed residence was Delray Beach, Fla.

Officials at the Miami field FBI office would not comment on the issue.

“We are not in a position to comment on the issue at the field level,” FBI spokesperson Wayne Russell said.

The FBI national office in Washington D.C. had no comments specific to the Madison connection.

“We haven’t confirmed any of the residences yet,” an FBI spokesperson said. “We released the names, his possible residence is Delray Beach, Fla., and there is no other information.”