Dane County responds to terrorist attacks

As the nation mourned a catastrophic event of an unparalleled magnitude, severe repercussions were felt across the United States.

Air traffic was nonexistent, government buildings were sparse, stores were closed and pedestrians, if they ventured away from their television sets, walked in a stupor to their destination.

Security was the main concern after the terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C.
While Gov. McCallum and Mayor Bauman said there was no reason to suspect that Dane County, Madison or the state of Wisconsin as a whole were in any danger, state and city officials took action to protect citizens.

“We are planned for this; we had hoped it would not come,” McCallum said. “Security measures are being put in place, and I am confident the appropriate steps have been taken to protect our citizens and facilities.”

National Guard units across the country were put on alert.

According to Deputy Acting General for the Wisconsin National Guard, General Wilkining, the Wisconsin National Guard increased its security to Threat Con Charlie, the highest level of military standing.

“The Wisconsin National Guard has taken prudent precautionary steps,” Wilkining said. “We have been in contact and confirmed our status with the Pentagon.”

City and state buildings heightened security and restricted entrance, and some closed completely.
Military buildings across the state locked their doors for the day, and employees were sent home.
Both the Capitol and City/County Buildings limited access to only employees, using only one entrance.

Persons entering the City/County Building or Madison Municipal Building were subject to heightened security checks.

The City Council continued with business as usual.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he was surprised the city government continued its daily routine.
“I was shocked that city meetings still went on,” Verveer said.

Most offices in the Capitol continued with daily activities.

State Rep. Spencer Black said he would remain in his office for the day but told the Democratic Caucus it was their decision to make.

“It is up to you and your legislator [or] supervisor to decide whether you choose to stay at work today,” Black wrote in an e-mail to legislators.

In addition to the increased security, McCallum said some out-of-state offices were closed.

“We increased security at the point of entry, performed a walk-through of the buildings, and we have closed some out-of-state offices in New York, Washington, and Chicago,” McCallum said.

Airports closed nationwide due to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) directive.

The Dane County Regional Airport accepted diverted flights from their destinations. As of 10:30 a.m., three diverted planes landed at the airport.

Local businesses also closed throughout the city, including West Towne Mall, East Towne Mall and some businesses on State Street.

“Both East and West Towne closed. We closed as a company nationwide out of respect for the victims and their families,” said Tammy Rozek, General Manager of East Towne Mall.

According to reports, businesses and government affairs should be running normally today.