UW-Madison ranked eighth-best public school in nation

U.S. News and World Report again placed UW-Madison in the top 10 of the nations’ public universities and the second highest-ranking Big Ten school.

At No. 8, the school ranks behind the University of California-Berkeley (No. 1) and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (No. 3). Among 249 national universities, public and private, the school ranked number 32.

“As in past U.S. News rankings, UW-Madison continues to rank among the nation’s top five public universities in terms of academic reputation,” Vice Chancellor John Torphy said.

However, in terms of diversity, UW-Madison ranked fairly poorly.

The school received a .17 “diversity index” out of a possible 1.0, while the University of California-Berkeley received a .63 and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor got a .43.

“While the U.S. News rankings can be a starting point, it is important that prospective students consider a variety of factors, not just ranking, in selecting the program and the campus that best fits their goals,” Torphy said.

The magazine said colleges moving spots on the list does not reflect a change in the ranking formula, but the addition of new institutions and the recategorization of many others.

The UW-Madison School of Business and School of Engineering ranked No. 12 in the nation in additional rankings.

“America’s Best Colleges” will hit the stands Monday, Sept. 10.