Campus safety concerns students

UW-Madison can be a fun and exciting place. Unfortunately, crimes do occur on campus. It is up to students to ensure their own safety. University police offers these tips to help reduce the chances of becoming a crime victim.

First and foremost, be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn’t look or feel right, trust your instincts and leave immediately. Call 911 if you see anything suspicious.

Walk with a friend whenever possible. If you must walk alone, use public walkways and make use of the Light Way, a network of well-lit sidewalks and paths for pedestrians on campus. These areas are clearly marked with reflective logos attached to light poles.

“There are some parts of campus that you really shouldn’t walk through ever at night,” UW senior Katie Lemke added. “Steer clear of the lakeshore path.”

Take advantage of SAFEwalk and SAFEride services.

SAFEwalk is available to students from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. until Sept. 30 and 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. beginning Oct. 5. SAFEride cabs are available from 9 p.m to 3 a.m. Call 262-5000 to request an escort.

“You shouldn’t be outside alone at night,” SAFE nighttime services coordinator Jane Goemans said. “Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.”

Keep your possessions in sight at all times. It takes only seconds for valuables to disappear.

If you leave your room or house for even a few minutes, lock the door.
In 1999, 58 burglaries were reported on campus, 13 of which were in university residence halls, according to the UW annual security report.

Avoid taking wallets, money and jewelry into athletic facilities and storing them in lockers. Lockers are prime targets of thieves.

“There is no lock that isn’t able to be broken into,” said John Paine, UW director of recreational facilities. “It doesn’t take long for a professional — and there are professional thieves among us — to break in. An ounce of prevention goes a long way.”

When using the ATM, commit your PIN to memory. Don’t carry it in your wallet or your pocket. If anyone makes you uncomfortable while using the ATM, cancel your transaction and leave immediately.

Sexual Assault Prevention

Be alert for dangerous areas. Areas that are isolated, dark or offer limited escape or means of communication to summon help should be avoided.

Take a self-defense class. The dean of students office sponsors “Chimera” class, offered by the Rape Crisis Center. Students should contact the Rape Crisis Center at 255-0076.

Carry a whistle or personal alarm as well as a cell phone to summon help.

Be alert for the date rape drug Rohyphnol, commonly called “roofies.” These drugs can be slipped into a drink when the victim is not looking and can exaggerate the effects of alcohol as well as produce amnesia. Maintain control of your drink at all times, whether you are at a bar or a party.

If you think you may have ingested Rohyphnol, call 911 or go to the nearest medical facility immediately.

Remember, evidence shows that the date rape drug of choice is alcohol and that most sexual assaults are committed by people familiar to the victim. Be aware and stay in control.

If you are a victim of sexual assault, call 911 or the Rape Crisis Center Crisis Line at 251-7273. Don’t be afraid to report an assault.

Be alert and use your common sense. If something doesn’t feel right, leave the situation and get help if needed.