Hump Day: The sexual perks of pegging

Here’s how to combine a dildo, harness and a butt hole for maximal pleasure
Hump Day: The sexual perks of pegging
Photo courtesy of ilanawexler.tumblr.com

The 1998 sex education video series “Bend Over Boyfriend” took an early look at the phenomenon of pegging, though it didn’t go by that name at the time. It discussed female-bodied people penetrating a male-bodied person’s anus with a strap-on dildo. The term “pegging” did not arrive until 2001, when sex advice columnist Dan Savage held a contest to name the act. Since then, pegging has appeared in popular media, including “Weeds,” “Broad City” and Chapter 15 of “Fifty Shades of Grey.” Of course, strap-on dildos are hardly limited to pegging — anyone anywhere can use a dildo at any time.

The great thing about anal activity, including pegging, is that everyone has a butthole and the potential to enjoy it. Pegging adds a dimension of taboo, domination and submission to the already-erotic genre of anal play. Role reversal — especially if one is accustomed to only penetrating or being penetrated — can be quite stimulating. In fact, Dan Savage suggests that pegging can illuminate men to the receiver’s perspective during penetration. As with any act outside of the conventional sexual script, pegging requires lots of discussion beforehand. Try watching pegging porn or reading up on the subject. Talk about limits, comforts, desires and — of course — the strap-on!

Hump Day: How to save water, get dirty

Equipment

The material and size of the dildo should depend entirely on what the pegged partner is comfortable with. Some dildos resemble penises, while others feature more sensation-oriented designs. A highly tapered probe dildo resembles a cone and is often recommended for newcomers to pegging. You can purchase standard dildos after becoming familiar and comfortable with the act. Dildos meant to stimulate the male prostate can be super pleasurable for the pegged partner. Vibrating dildos or a simple bullet vibrator can transform the pegger’s pleasure as well. If both partners wish to experience simultaneous penetration, the pegger can use a double penetration dildo — two dildos molded into a common base. Dildos attach to harnesses in all sorts of ways. If you’re apprehensive about picking out your own harnesses and dildos, Babeland and other sex toyshops offer a beginner’s strap-on kit. Remember to start slow with fingers or small toys before thrusting away!

Every successful pegging pair needs a good harness, a harness compatible dildo and lubricant. Harnesses are available in many different materials, including synthetic, leather, plastic, latex, rubber and PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride). Each have their own advantages and disadvantages; do some research with a partner to figure out what y’all are into!

After selecting a material, one should decide on a comfortable harness design.

Two-strap harnesses are similar to a g-string — one strap goes around the wearer’s waist, while the other goes between the wearer’s legs and connects to the other trap in the middle at the lower back. Although simple, two-strap harnesses can rub uncomfortably on the anus and fail to hold the dildo firmly enough.

Three-strap harnesses have one strap around the wearer’s waist and two straps around the thighs, rejoining the first strap in the front. This design leaves the genitals and anus uncovered while attaching a dildo more securely.

Lube is essential. Silicone lubricant will stay slippery the longest but must be washed off and may stain sheets. Water-based lubes rub into the skin easier, but may not be ideal for anal play since the butthole is not self-lubricating. Without lubrication, anal penetration can be harmful.

Hump Day: Debunking the stigma of period sex

Enjoyable for the pegger…

Not only does the pegger get to enjoy an erotic role reversal, they also experience a sense of domination. Being able to give another person anal pleasure can also be supremely satisfying. Female-bodied people can use vibrators and choose harnesses to increase stimulation.

…and the pegged.

Besides the feeling of submitting to another partner, some male bodies may find themselves curious about what it feels like to be penetrated. Plus, the male prostate near the rectum can create tremendous satisfaction. Nothing about enjoying anal penetration indicates sexual orientation; in fact, everyone has a butthole.

Hump Day: Do’s and don’t’s of getting down and dirty with your coworkers