Keep beach-skinny goals with even skinnier wallet

It’s just two weeks until spring break, and your desire to maintain a healthy diet for your beach body may be at odds with your inclination to pinch pennies.

Eating healthy on a budget is not always easy, but there are plenty of healthy foods that are expensive in stores that can cheaply and easily be prepared at home. Read below for some easy how-to tips to create some of your favorite dishes at home for a fraction of the cost.

One popular health snack that can end up packing a punch on your wallet is trail mix, with some brands costing nearly $10 per pound. To save money, buy dried fruit, nuts, pretzels or whatever healthy snacks you like. By mixing your own trail mix, you can also control the nutrient content. Choose unsalted nuts instead of regular nuts to lower the sodium content, or try yogurt covered raisins instead of chocolate chips to satisfy your sweet tooth. The raisins add fiber while cutting out nearly half the fat of regular chocolate. Store your personal concoction in an airtight container for up to three weeks, and you are set.

Convenience eating can really put a dent in your wallet, especially if you’re buying healthy convenience foods. One such item is pre-packaged salad. The next time you’re tempted to grab a salad pack on the go, remind yourself that what you’re really paying for is the expensive packaging of the pre-cut vegetables and salad dressing.

Making your own salads and salad dressings is very easy. If you do not want to wash and chop your lettuce, you can purchase prewashed lettuce that is still cheaper than a salad kit and will provide you with multiple lunches instead of just one. You can pre-chop veggies like onions and green peppers and store them in the fridge for quick assembly during the week.

You can also add in affordable no-prep-necessary items like cherry tomatoes or pre-sliced mushrooms. Canned beans, peas or corn are also easy and affordable additions to a salad.

You probably already have the ingredients you need to make your own salad dressing. Oil, vinegar, mustard and herbs can be combined in a variety of ways to create new and inventive salad dressings. See the recipe of the week section for some easy ideas.

Healthy spreads to top your veggies and whole grain breads, like hummus and guacamole, can also really start to add to your grocery bill. Luckily, one cup of hummus can be made at home for a third of the cost.

The dish can be completed in five minutes with a food processor or powerful blender (see the recipe section below for an easy how-to). It’s a snack high in protein, fiber, healthy fats and minerals like calcium and iron you can feel good about.

Guacamole doesn’t require any special equipment. Ripe avocados can be mashed by hand and combined with veggies and herbs for a savory snack full of healthy fats, fiber and vitamin C.

Want to save some for later, but hate the icky brown color? Lay plastic wrap so that it touches the top layer of the dip, and seal it in an airtight container. This will minimize the amount of air exposure that causes the browning of the avocado. See the recipe section below for an easy guacamole recipe.

You do not have to sacrifice your wallet for your health, or vice versa. Try these simple, healthy recipes to satisfy your snack cravings, and keep your diet healthy while you’re dreaming of the beach!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? E-mail the column at [email protected].

There are several recipes of the week this time around that provide a wide array of nutrients for a fraction of the store-bought varieties.

Mustard Vinaigrette 

” 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

” 1 tablespoon sugar

” 1 round teaspoon Dijon mustard

” 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

” Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper 

Combine mustard, sugar and vinegar in a bowl. Whisk in oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette

” 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

” 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

” 1 tablespoon honey

” 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme

” 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

” Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper 

In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest, honey and thyme. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Hummus (makes 1.5 cups) 

” 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled

” 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed

” 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

” 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

” 1 tablespoon tahini*

” 1/2 teaspoon salt 

In a food processor, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor fitted with a steel blade attachment; process until finely minced. Scrape down the sides of the workbowl and add chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, tahini and salt. Process until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary, 1-2 minutes. If using a blender instead of a food processor, be sure to mince the garlic by hand and thoroughly scrape the sides and bottom of the pitcher to make sure all ingredients are blended.

*Tahini is a thick paste of sesame seeds; look for it by other nut butters in the grocery aisle.

Guacamole (makes 1.5-2 cups)

” 2-3 avocados

” 1 Roma tomato, diced

” 1/2 white onion

” lime juice

” salt and pepper

Halve and pit avocados. Scoop out centers with spoon into a medium sized bowl and mash with a fork. Add diced onion and tomato. Add juice of lime. Depending on the yield, it should take about 1/2 to one whole lime. Add salt and pepper to taste.