Avoid the “drunchies” to save your wallet and waist

The spring semester is just beginning, and the city is full of undergrads looking to break through the winter break boredom to enjoy all the fun that Madison has to offer.

Many may choose to take full advantage of “syllabus week,” staying up late and partying to the wee hours of the morning, and ending the night by scarfing down their favorite on-campus munchies.

Celebrating the return to Badgerland over and over during the first few weeks of school can do a number on a healthy weight and diet. These junk foods are fine as an occasional indulgence, but in excess they can really pack a punch of calories and lead to weight gain.

So how can you resist the late night noshing? Read below for information on your favorite Madtown “drunchies” and strategies to avoid them.

Of course, for many a night simply isn’t complete without a slice of Mac n’ Cheese pizza at Ian’s Pizza. The restaurant doesn’t provide nutritional information, but by consulting a similar menu item from the pizza chain restaurant CiCi’s, a slice of Ian’s Mac n’ Cheese can be estimated at about 300 calories per slice.

To put this into perspective this is about 12-14 percent of your daily caloric need, or the energy equivalent of a three-mile run. As a one time indulgence this doesn’t sound too bad, but remember that if you don’t burn it off, all those extra calories will be stored as fat.

For those of you who stop at A8 China on the way home, I chose to research a popular sweet and sour chicken dish. Based on the nutritional info given by Chin’s Asia Fresh for a similar dish, I estimate a dish of sweet and A8 China sweet and sour chicken to be between 900-1100 calories. That is more than half the calories you need in a single day. Because a pound of fat is equal to about 3500 calories, just about three trips to A8 China can pack on a whole pound – and that is not even counting any drinks you had beforehand.

Ok, so maybe next time you’ll crave Mexican instead of Chinese, but heading for Qdoba or Chipotle can derail your diet as well. A standard grilled chicken Queso burrito from Qdoba, complete with rice, beans, and sour cream, packs 1100 calories. To burn this off you would need to walk up Bascom Hill 45 times!

For those of you who try to choose a lighter fare and head for Jimmy John’s, think twice. A number one “Pepe” at the sub shop packs 614 calories. Remember, just because something has lettuce and tomato on it does not mean it is low calorie.

Essentially what it comes down to is that all calories not burned off by normal body functions or physical activity, no matter what type of food or drink they came from, will be stored as fat.

By binging on drunchies you’re essentially adding on an entire meal or more’s worth of calories to your day. Because your stomach is empty after about 6 hours, you’re still going to wake up hungry for breakfast the next morning. If you do the math it’s clear how easy it is to add on the pounds.

So how do you resist the late night munchies? You can pass on the food all together. Taking out only enough cash for whatever activities you have planned for the night will prevent late-night food purchases. (Passing on late night food will also pad your wallet!) Or you can prepare a lower-calorie alternative bed-time snack before you go out. A simple turkey sandwich or heating up a serving of spaghetti noodles and sauce will save you money and calories.

For more information on your favorite foods, or with future column ideas, write to [email protected].

BBQ Chicken Burrito

This week’s recipe is a lightened up version of a burrito, packed with fiber to keep you feeling satisfied!

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded (4 cups)
1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed, or canned corn, drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 leaves romaine lettuce
4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
2 limes, cut in wedges

Preparation

1. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, barbecue sauce, beans, corn and sour cream; stir to combine. Cook until hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
  2. Assemble the wraps by placing a lettuce leaf in the center of each tortilla and topping with one-fourth of the chicken mixture; roll as you would a burrito. Slice in half diagonally and serve warm, with lime wedges.