Ashley Hampton inspires food revolution through vegan blog

‘Raw in College’ blogger, social media personality, UW student finds personal meaning through diet
Courtesy of Meredith Barrack

Living life with compassion and an open heart comes easy to Ashley Hampton.

A sophomore studying community and non-profit leadership and digital studies at University of Wisconsin, Hampton is best known by compassion for animals and her passion for raw veganism, a sub-genre of the eating lifestyle in which only uncooked non-animal products are consumed. And through her love for animals, Hampton has manifested a vibrant community of vegans on both Instagram and Youtube.

Under the title “Raw in College,” Hampton runs her vegan platform through social media as well as her website rawincollege.com. Combining all of the social media platforms, Hampton has accumulated more than 23,000 followers, to whom she frequently shares new, raw recipes with other vegans and prospective vegans around the world.

“Between posting on Instagram, making YouTube videos and answering emails, I am constantly connected to other vegans or aspiring vegans who are hoping to make a difference in the world,” Hampton said. “Since going vegan, I have truly expanded my horizons and found my purpose in life … to educate others about the benefits of cutting out animal products and the reasons for adopting a vegan diet.”

Veganism from a distance seems uniform enough — those who practice it abstain from the use of and consumption of animal products. Veganism, however, fractals into many sub genres like “plant-based vegans,” “junk food vegans,” “raw till four vegans” and strictly “raw vegans” to name a few. Hampton is the latter, meaning all the food she eats, be it fruits, vegetables, nuts or seeds, are uncooked to preserve the integrity of full plant nutrition. Her diet is a vibrant, all-inclusive plant party — one that has inspired many to take on a form of a herbivore’s diet as well.

Hampton’s lifestyle change to raw veganism was a process that she said stemmed from her interest in nutrition from an early age.

“I was a vegetarian for a year-and-a-half before I became a raw vegan. Growing up, I was never fond of eating animal products,” Hampton said. “Now, I consider myself an ‘ethical’ vegan which means that I am vegan for the animals first and foremost.”

This development and cultivation of a passion for veganism was also fueled by Hampton’s self-education. She explains that she has no “cravings” for animal products because she prioritizes her health and the well-being of animals so highly.

From this, Hampton advises anyone considering veganism to also take it upon themselves to get educated, as she claims once one “understands the underlying reasons for veganism, the rest comes naturally.”

She encourages others to watch the documentary “Earthlings,” directed by Shaun Monson,  and to listen to one of her biggest sources of inspiration, Dr. Douglas Graham — an expert in vegan nutrition.

For many, veganism is a lifestyle change — not a fad diet — with a larger purpose: to improve the health, happiness and longevity of those who inhabit this planet. Hampton’s passion for raw veganism invites those who are interested to learn about the variety of vegan alternatives out there for everyday goods, and for Hampton, veganism is finding life’s purpose while also inspiring others along the way.