Get acquainted with the ‘Real World’: MTV show arrives at UW for casting call

Auditions for season 32 underway at Union South this week
Courtesy of “Real World” Senior Casting Director Caitlyn Conway

A two-hour reservation at MTV can serve up an appetizer of hair-pulling, furniture-throwing socialites, a palette-cleanser of rugged survivalists traipsing through an unspecified jungle, an entree platter of mischievous 20-somethings locked in a mansion and a fruity cocktail of washed-up celebrities ballroom dancing and desperately hoping someone is watching. This meal combo is known as reality television, a modern brand of entertainment that took off in 1992 after the inception of MTV’s “Real World.”

Credited as the birth of the genre, “Real World” is the longest running program on MTV, heading into its 31st season this June. The premise, used as the structure for nearly every reality TV series since, is simple. Seven young adults, new to television and to each other, are selected to live together for several months, filmed 24/7, in the hopes of making it out on the other side with minimal injury and maybe even a new friend — all so the American viewer can sit on his or her couch and ignore their personal responsibilities by watching strangers ignore theirs.

So — don’t have summer plans yet?

It’s a good day to be a Badger.

This Wednesday “Real World” will be holding a casting call for its 32nd season right in our backyard.

Why Madison?

“I’ve always thought UW-Madison is a great slice of America, and a reflection of the Midwest — a really good part of this country,” casting director Martin Booker said. “Here, you’ll find students that are Democrats, some who are Republican — Trump supporters, students passionate about Bernie, Hillary — students who are gay, some of whom have embraced it, and some of whom haven’t figured out what that means to them.”

The diversity of students at UW — not just in color, but in socioeconomic class, interests, upbringing and hobbies — is a strong pull for a show like “Real World.” According to Booker, the show has always searched for “people with layers … [people] who are unapologetically themselves, who are doing something with their lives, whatever that may mean.”

For those interested in auditioning, the process is simple and straightforward. Attendees arrive with a photo, fill out a short application and participate in a short group interview with multiple other applicants. Those selected for next round have an in-depth, on-camera interview and after a couple months of reviewing the tapes, finalists are flown out to the studio for final interviews in May.

You might be wondering, “What might they ask me?”

“We’re looking for people that are able to talk about themselves, where they stand on potentially heavy issues — people who are willing to be open,” Booker said.

The show, contrary to popular sentiment about reality TV, finds appeal not in the loud-mouthed trouble-makers, but the most unabashed contestants they can get their hands on. It is not monotonous conflict that makes for great reality television, but bare, honest and raw human emotion, unwavering in the face of two dozen cameras and a couple million viewers.

A short interview with Nicole Zanatta of season 30 reveals this sentiment carries through to the cast members. Shortly after graduating from college, Zanatta, an EMT who worked at the New York Fire Department, decided to audition.

Nicole Zanatta

“It wasn’t easy — I really had to adjust,” Zanatta said. “When I walked into that house in Chicago I didn’t know how to wash my panties.”

All it took was a dose of the “Real World” and probably a washing machine to change that.

While Zanatta did mention fights, drama and tension in the house, she gushed about the strong relationships she has continued to maintain since the show.

“I would do it again in a heartbeat,” she said. “I’ve grown so much since then.”

With more than two dozen seasons in the bag, “Real World” is continuing to evolve.

“America is changing and growing again,” Booker said. “We’ve cast the same show for 32 seasons … from the 90s, to the Paris Hilton era, to grunge and now to the hot debate on race and religion and all that. Adults can’t seem to have that. That’s why we’re returning to the college campus.”

If you find yourself anywhere near Union South tomorrow, just consider the thought — it could be time for you to get acquainted with the “Real World.”