Battle of the apps: Snagging bargain bites with Hooked and Pocket Points

Flickr user Daniel Go

The good old a.m. is winding down on a chilly, late-semester weekday. Just as that boring power lecture is coming to a close, your biological supper bell starts rumbling above your belt. Hunger: the all-too familiar obstacle of any busy college student’s productivity.

As class gets out, you’ll undoubtedly stumble toward the faint aroma of grub, searching for a quick bite in hopes of satisfying the distracting void in your stomach so your studies can resume unhindered.

I’m here to make this lunchtime adventure a little less pricey with a pair of free fiscally-minded mobile apps: Hooked and Pocket Points. Like a couple of Robin Hood’s sidekicks, these two can help keep both you and your wallet full when those midday hunger pangs hit.

Hooked

A great wise man once said, “The Hooked app giveth, and the Hooked taketh away.” This virtual, ever-changing coupon lottery dishes out discounts for participating local restaurants all over Madison

From the greatest “buy one get ones” steals to the most modest “10 percent off” savings, one can find it all on Hooked — if the timing is right, of course. Therefore, one of its faults is the fact that the most prosperous use of this app requires a constant vigil as the alternating bargains make their rotations. But luckily enough for the users, these rotations usually follow a relatively consistent pattern which really isn’t too terribly difficult to pick up.

But be warned, that unbelievable discount you scored last week may have very well made its last appearance. What once could be found with the simple tap of a finger may now only be found in Hooked app heaven. But nevertheless, the deals of days past are always being replace by new and improved bargains, just waiting to be discovered.

Pocket Points

While the Hooked app throws deals around willy-nilly, Pocket Points is its conservative cousin. This app gives out little to no handouts. You’ve got to work for these ones.

Work is an overstatement. When I say work, I simply mean pocketing your phone while on campus (and staying off it during class) to gain points in order to buy various discounts at different businesses, hence the name. What’s different about this app though, is the fact that the deals are always available and repeatable, if you have enough points to purchase them. Another cool bonus Pocket Points brings to the table is the fact that you can also use the points for online purchases.

So yeah, your Yik Yak yakarma may take a bit of a hit while you’re earning these points, but staying off your phone in lecture might actually help boost your GPA as well as your bank account.

Thus, the question arises: which app do you choose? The edgy mystery box of handouts in Hooked, or the steady store of earned discounts in Pocket Points? I think a better question is why not both? They’re free anyway.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy savings.