Smart library snacking for all midterm cravings

We’ve all been there. It’s midterms season, and you’re gearing up for your next big exam. Your plan is to spend the entire day cramming, so you post up at your favorite table at college library with all the necessities: snacks, candy and a couple jumbo energy drinks.

These products claim to keep you going, but in reality they’re packed to the brim with empty calories with little nutritional value. You don’t have to sacrifice snacking while you study to avoid putting on the pounds, though. By making a few simple changes you can choose healthier options that are good for your mind and body and hold down that table all day.

The key to snacking the right way while you study is to start with healthy options, and then make sure you’re grabbing them in healthy portions. Just read on for some alternatives to all your favorite junk foods!

If you’re craving something crunchy…

Instead of reaching for chips or pre-made snack mixes, try reaching for air-popped popcorn or a nutrient dense handful of nuts. Popcorn only has 30 calories per cup, so as long as you pick a brand that isn’t covered in butter and salt, you’ve got a great healthy snack! Roasted almonds and cashews are a great option too, as long as you watch your portions. At 170 calories for ? cup, this healthy snack isn’t necessarily low calorie. For that, try celery or carrot sticks!

If you’re craving something sweet…

If you just can’t concentrate until you satisfy your sweet tooth, try snacking on some sweet fresh fruit instead. One cup of grapes provides a great go-to snack for only 62 calories. Cut up pineapple, chunks of melon and apple slices are also nutritious snack choices. Also, many low-fat yogurts now come in dessert flavors like key lime or banana cream pie that are sure to take care of your sweet fix and give your body a burst of calcium!

If you’re craving something chewy…

If your go-to study snack is chewy candy like Starburst, gummy bears or Swedish fish, try substituting dried fruit for a tasty alternative. Groceries now carry a variety of dried fruit options, so don’t think you’re limited to a boring box of raisins. Dried apricots, plums, pears, apples, pineapple or cranberries offer tasty and chewy options that are full of vitamin C and other nutrients. A half-cup serving of dried fruit mix has about 160 calories compared to 240 calories in one roll of Starburst.

If you need a boost of energy…

Back away from the energy drinks! One can of Rockstar Energy Drink packs a whopping 60 grams of sugar (picture eating 1/3 cup of table sugar!) and 260 calories. Drinking these sugary drinks all night can easily equate a whole additional meal to your day in terms of calories. So if you need a pick me up, grab a cup of caffeinated tea instead. There are plenty of flavored options in all your local supermarket or coffee shop. One or two piping hot mugs can easily last you all night for no additional calories and at a much more affordable price!

If all you need is chocolate…

Remember that when it comes to chocolate the darker varieties are better for you. Try to limit yourself to a small serving to satisfy your craving (1 oz of dark chocolate has about 150 calories). For another healthy option try chocolate covered fruit or raisins. They’ll give you a dose of chocolate on the outside and a low calorie burst of sweetness on the inside!

So now that you know how to expand your knowledge without expanding your waistline – get studying with some smart snacks!

Rachel Werts is a senior in the dietetics program. If you want to write a question to the column, just email [email protected].

Recipe of the Week

Make this week’s recipe for your next study group session. You can substitute your favorite herb or spice blend and play with which flavor you like best.

Roasted Chickpeas – the ultimate crunchy snack Serves 4

Ingredients

1 (14 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained

1 Tbsp olive oil garlic salt (optional)

cayenne pepper (optional)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with salt, garlic salt and cayenne pepper, if using. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until browned and crunchy. Watch carefully the last few minutes to avoid burning.