Use UHS, Group-X to work out midterm stress

As midterm season ascends on the University of Wisconsin campus, students prepare for the spike in stress levels that accompany the slur of exams, papers and presentations.

According to the American College Health Association, nearly 50 percent of all college students nationally reported stress or anxiety as factors hurting their academic performances in Fall 2011.

Rob Sepich, University Health Services stress management specialist, said many students suffer from chronic stress because they, on average, have 50 “fight-or-flight” reactions to various situations per day. These reactions can be to things as simple as a text message or random thoughts that confuse the body into thinking there is a life-threatening situation, he said.

Students have a tendency to stay physically and psychologically at this stress level for five to 15 minutes, with these stress cycles repeating every 20 minutes. These extreme reactions to stress are damaging, Sepich said, emphasizing the importance of releasing this stress in a healthy way.

“We haven’t evolved as a species just to sit,” Sepich said. “[Fight or flight responses] used to be helpful for thousands of years; there were constant threats to our survival, we needed to have that hair-width sensitivity so that if something happened, we were ready to react.”

He said exercise is a positive way to release some of this tension, especially around midterms, and said students should aim for at least 30 minutes at a time.

During midterms when time is limited for students to exercise, Sepich said evidence shows even 10 minutes of active exercise, such as climbing stairs or Bascom Hill, helps the body both physically and psychologically.

“It’s better to do something briefly than not at all,” Sepich said. “Really finding something you like is the key.”

Because of the nature of an active student life on the UW campus, Sepich said students will likely always have something come up and interfere with a workout program, so it is important to find an enjoyable exercise to allow for a greater chance the student sticks with it.

Between aerobic, strength and flexibility exercises, aerobic exercise has shown to be most beneficial for stress management, he said.

Tim Gattenby, UW kinesiology faculty associate, said cardiovascular exercise helps release endorphins to reduce cortisol, a hormone that causes natural stress and pain.

“You get more endorphin release from the rhythmical, continuous cardiovascular type of exercise and if we define it properly, it needs to be at an elevated rate around 60 percent of your personal max,” Gattenby said. “It needs to be sustained and continuous, usually something that’s rhythmical.” Gattenby said students needed to do these exercises more days than not to see benefits. 

Gattenby said walking, martial arts, yoga and swimming are some of the best exercises to release physical and emotional tension and increase feelings of well-being, but cautioned students to be mindful not to over-exert and harm the body.

Other resources: Relaxation, UHS programming and eating right

To provide for moderation during midterms, Sepich said students should also carve out time for relaxation with prayer, meditation or yoga. Students should also focus on nutrition, he said, keeping balance, variety and moderation in mind. Getting between six and nine hours of sleep also reduces health risks, he said.

“There are dozens of things people can do in addition to exercise to cope [with stress],” Sepich said. “During midterms, you’re studying in more of a way to survive. [Relaxing] tells your mind, ‘oh, I’m okay.'”

Relaxing five to 10 minutes before studying and sitting in a relaxed posture, not hunched over a textbook helps the brain absorb information easier, he said.

Another critical component to staying healthy during the academic year, Sepich said, is finding support from family, friends or a counseling center.

Elizabeth Larson, UW kinesiology professor and occupational therapist, said a recently developed class called Living Well: Lifestyle Redesign and Health Promotion for College Students, offers resources for students to learn about stress and how to best deal with it based on each individual’s needs.

Larson said the class forms a community that focuses on developing a healthy lifestyle and not only considers exercise, nutrition and sleep, but also establishes a balanced daily routine that includes opportunities for rest and social connections as well as schoolwork.

“The important part for students is being together,” Larson said. “Having a group of people to talk to when you want to change [habits]; social support is really important.”

Larson is currently teaching the course, which includes current research, experimental learning and wellness practices, and is looking to expand enrollment.

UHS also offers counseling between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The services offer individuals help with stress management as well as group counseling for no charge. Students can also receive massage therapy for $40 per 50-minute session and acupuncture costing $20 for a single treatment.

Students can also download free mp3 recordings on the UHS website that talk them through relaxation techniques.

Sweating out the stress

The Southeast Recreational Facility and Natatorium both offer exercise and social support through their Group-X Fitness classes. The SERF has 11 different classes, the NAT seven and each includes both strength and cardiovascular training that make for great study breaks. The classes below are Group-X cardio workouts. The Badger Herald sent a reporter in to observe and participate in the classes.

Zumba: This is a Latin-dance based workout and those who have attended regularly really seemed to enjoy it. While upbeat, this particular class has the same routines each week. For newcomers it may take extra effort to learn steps quickly to keep up with regular attendees. It may not be the best choice to start this class mid-semester if you are looking to relieve stress as it will add some study materials to your list. (2 stars)

Spinology: A hefty workout, this cycling class will burn more calories than most of the others. It integrates intervals and heart rate and is customizable for each individual. However, the class is very intense, so it might not be the best option for students looking for a fun and stress-free workout to get a break from the library. (3 stars)

Shallow Aqua Fitness: You don’t have to be an avid swimmer to participate. It’s a small-to-mid size class and takes place in the four-foot-deep shallow pool. There is no lap swimming involved, but the class offers a combination of cardio and resistance training. While a mix-up from the regular jog, it may not amp up enough cardio to leave you feeling stress-free and ready to study. (3 stars)

Hip Hop: Everyone is welcome. Class members learn one routine in an hour, and instructors attend to the pace of the class. The course sets a friendly and welcoming environment. Be sure to wear comfortable tennis shoes and don’t worry about making mistakes – rest assured you wouldn’t be the first! (4 stars)

Yoga: This is a combination of ashtanga and hatha yoga, which allows for a workout accompanied by relaxation. It is welcoming to newcomers and offers opportunities to work the muscles that have barely moved all day sitting at a desk. The class ends with relaxation strategies and will most likely leave you feeling refreshed and ready to handle your workload. (5 stars)

Box Blast: This class definitely offers a fun workout. A non-contact kickboxing class, it is choreographed to kick-butt music and is a great way to relieve stress and frustration. It will ready you into hitting up the library afterward. No prior kickboxing experience is necessary – you won’t regret trying it! (5 stars)

Other classes offered are Cardio, Core Crunch, Deep Aqua Cardio, Dynamic Strength, Group Strength and Powerflow. Group-X passes are required for entry and cost $3 for one class, $25 for a semester pass and $50 for an academic year pass for students. Each class lasts an hour. Different class times are offered and the schedule can be found on the SERF and NAT websites.