Natty Nation harkens back to holiday’s roots

boogie
This year’s Black Friday Party will use reggae music to accurately represent Thanksgiving and raise awareness about the oppression of minority groups.[/media-credit]

When dedicated shoppers hear the phrase ‘Black Friday,’ many prepare for the bloodlust they must channel to weather the hoards of bargain-hunters hoping to work off that slice of pumpkin pie in search of this year’s ‘it’ toy. Black Friday also marks Natty Nation’s third appearance at the High Noon Saloon’s Black Friday Party where they will serve listeners with a less caloric but equally satisfying musical feast designed to highlight the oppression of minority groups and celebrate historically accurate representations of Thanksgiving. 

Natty Nation formed in 1995 and has since become a staple on the Madison reggae scene with its modern beats infused with rock and hip-hop influences. As self-described musical risk-takers, Natty Nation works to actively define Wisconsin’s flavor of reggae. 

“Certain cities have a certain sound… but in Wisconsin, we haven’t established that yet,” frontman JAH Boogie said. 

The music Natty Nation produces celebrates the meaning behind everyday experience and draws from hip-hop style popularized during the ’70s.

“I was very much into the early hip hop… that’s what I base a lot of my philosophies and music on,” Boogie said.
The music Natty Nation creates is inherently spiritual. The group seeks to better humanity through positive messages woven with infectious beats.
“All of the songs are straight up positive even when we’re addressing hardcore [topics],” Boogie said. “We believe that music elevates you.” 

In addition to advocating positivity and community, Natty Nation addresses issues they seek to change directly. It has played concerts to benefit African humanitarian efforts, Habitat for Humanity and Porchlight, an organization that combats Madison area homelessness.
Since its creation, the band has travelled to the Middle East and Africa to both entertain and raise cultural awareness. In 2008, the group traveled through Afghanistan on its way to Kuwait to perform for American troops. 

“It was right in the fighting zone. We were riding with troops and dropped them off in Afghanistan. We didn’t realize we were going to do that. It was like, ‘Wow, we are going to drop these guys into the fire… hopefully these guys make it back,” Boogie said. 

In the tradition of reggae music harkening back to its tribal roots, Natty Nation works to ensure the ‘dance-ability’ of its music despite dealing with moral and provocative subjects.
Natty Nation has established a loyal fan base in Madison through its political and culturally-conscious style of music, which helps to connect with other vibrant reggae communities nationwide. 

“The Madison community has supported us from the very beginning… We’ve been around so long that a lot of our original fans have children now.” 

This year’s Black Friday show will feature a red, black and green theme as Natty Nation hopes to raise awareness about the cultural oppression minority groups have experienced as a result of the cultural hegemony throughout U.S. history.
The colors red, black and green represent the colors of the Pan-African or Liberation flag adopted as a symbol of the Universal Negro Improvement Association founded by Marcus Garvey. 

“The red is the blood that’s shed through oppression and slavery, the black is for the people of Africa, and the green is for the land of Africa,” Boogie said. Besides showcasing the struggles of the Liberation movement in the 1920s, the Black Friday Party will commemorate the history of Native Americans. “We aren’t taught a lot of the time that the indigenous people of this land were slaughtered,” Boogie said. “It’s important to remember that it’s not just about eating food and getting full and sleepy, but it’s a time that a lot of people actually suffered.”

If you crave a less consumer-driven Black Friday experience, stop by the High Noon Saloon Nov. 26 to investigate history and the meaning of Thanksgiving. Don’t forget to wear red, black, green, or all three. Natty Nation will appear with Jon Wayne and the Pain and Tropical Riddims Sound System. Music begins at 8 p.m.