Bucky awaits students for second annual homecoming block party

Silent Disco, fish, Ben Brust, oh my!
Cheerleaders and Bucky Badger will now have the opportunity to travel farther to spread school spirit.

Calling all Bucky Badger fans — the Wisconsin Alumni Association is hosting the second annual Homecoming Block Party on Oct. 19 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Alumni Park following the Homecoming Parade.

The party is free, open to any Badgers fans and tailored toward family. The only cost is for the fish fry, said Wisconsin Alumni Senior Director of Engagement Programs Kate Preen.

“We underwrite all costs of the event to provide a free, fun, spirited event that’s open to anyone to attend,” Prehn said.

About 4,000 people are expected to attend, Prehn said. Wisconsin Avenue, Gilman Street, Lake Street and all of Langdon Street will be closed on Friday between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m. for the party. 

Together, the party is sponsored by the Wisconsin Alumni Association, Isthmus and the Red Card Meal Plan.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2018/10/01/bucky-on-parade-brings-together-community-local-charities/

Prehn is excited about all the activities the party has to offer.

“We’ve got some fun new elements this year,” Prehn said. “In addition, Silent Disco is back, as is our pep rally that will be emceed by Ben Brust, members of the UW Marching Band, Spirit Squad and Bucky will be there, and the event will conclude with fireworks over Lake Mendota at 8:30 p.m.”

Additionally, Stacy Bruner, Isthmus director of videography, will be streaming 15 of his videos at the event. Bruner — a former Bucky and UW student himself — expects a great turnout, just like last year.

Bruner called the party an event that puts little focus on alcohol, targeted toward accommodating everyone in the family.  

https://badgerherald.com/news/2018/07/30/modified-dining-plan-offers-opt-out-option-for-students-with-dietary-restrictions/

“Everyone looked like they were having a great time,” Bruner said.

Co-owner and founder of the Red Card Meal Plan, Jeff Haupt, said the Terrace handled the crowd well from last year, despite the big turnout.

Students are also welcome to come. Haupt said it’s great to get student involvement.

https://badgerherald.com/banter/2018/04/10/bucky-badger-enters-crowded-gubernatorial-election/

Haupt is excited the event continues beyond the parade by including the party. He believes finishing in Alumni Park is an appropriate conclusion for the homecoming festivities.

“The university’s done a great job with Library Mall and Alumni Park. It’s such a great place for the community to hang out,” Haupt said.

Head over to the parade and party for family-fun event this Friday, and to see Bucky. He’s been practicing.