As the first week of classes come to a close, it’s time to wind down and relax before the real rush of school work begins. Grab a few friends or fly solo to any of these activities in the realm of art.
Here are some events for you to check out this weekend on campus and around Madison:
All of the following are free and open to the public. Some of these events include free food and refreshments.
Friday, Sept. 7
- Sunrise Open Mic at 9:30 a.m. at Alumni Park
- New Midwest Photography’s opening ceremony from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. at 201 State St.
- Deadpool 2 (2018) at 8:30 p.m. at Union South
- The Room (2003) at 11 p.m. at Union South
- Free Art Friday at Wheelhouse Studios at 5 p.m.
- Beats Antique, Artifakts and Dense City perform Live on King Street
- JVN Day Hip Hop Festival: The Root: events start at the Student Activity Center in room 3129 at 333 East Campus Mall at 12 p.m.
- Free Ice Cream for New Students at Alumni Park from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- UW Welcome Party at 4 p.m. at Allen Centennial Garden
- The Beat Chefs at 10 p.m. at Robinia Courtyard
- Indulge! at 9 p.m. at Bandung Indonesian Restaurant
Saturday, Sept. 8
- Lab^3 Gallery Opening – 6 p.m. at 2021 Winnebago St.
- Cafe Coda Grand Opening – 12 p.m. at 224 Williamson St.
- WUD Film presents American Animals at 8:30 p.m. at Union South
- Madison Vegan Fest at 1701 Wright St. from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- For the Love of Hip-Hop: Summer Concert Series 2018 at the Urban Community Arts Network on 820 W. Wingra Dr. from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- NPR 2018 Tiny Desk Concert Competition Winner Naia Izumi at Memorial Union Terrace at 9 p.m.
- Brooks Wheelan at Comedy on State at 8 p.m.
- Terrace Dance Party with *KNOWSTHETIME at Memorial Union at 10:30 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 9