‘I Wanna Go To Bed’ paints the story of heartbreak, self-sacrifice in relationships

Poem reflects on physical impact of losing love
Greta Zimmermann

Welcome to StoriesEtc, a place where University of Wisconsin students can share their original works of creative writing with the community, whether it be poetry, short stories or anything in between. As a section dealing with the arts, it feels only natural to create an opportunity for students to share their creative talents.

That being said, let’s meet this week’s contributor, StoriesEtc. founder Celeste Benzschawel.

StoriesEtc: ‘Desert Dream’ tells the story of fleeting love, intimacy with nature

Tell us about yourself. What’s your major?

I’m a senior in the journalism school. I’ve written for The Herald for about three years and was an ArtsEtc. Editor for one of those years. I mostly write about music so who knows if I’ll ever get a job! Cheers!

How many times have you written for this column?

I’ve written for this once before. I wrote a poem about Utah and heartbreak. Funny because I’m writing a poem about heartbreak for this one too. Cheers!

Define your writing, authorship, and perspective.

The characteristics of my writing tend to depend on the outlet I am writing for. With The Badger Herald, it is my absolute favorite thing to converse with musicians, construct their story into a narrative and share their themes and messages with the world. When writing for myself, I tend to let go a little bit. Silliness and sarcasm are some of my favorite writing techniques. But no matter what the writing is for or what it’s about, I hope to project a voice that reflects who I am as a person without detracting from the piece’s ultimate message.

Talk about your creative process. What inspires you, and how do you get from an idea to a finished product?

My creative process mostly consists of me either writing lists of ideas or just starting something without even planning what it will be or what it will be about. I guess you can say I just let my mind run wild and my hands follow suit. I’ve often found that I get a lot of inspiration from listening to music while I write, especially when writing poetry. I like to let the tone and feeling of the song sink in, and then I try to translate that mood into the piece that I am writing. Aside from applying seriousness and care to academic pieces or newspaper articles (because I am a responsible, reliable, mature adult), I might dabble in a few alcoholic beverages to free the mind.

StoriesEtc: ‘My heart, mere dil’ offers a tale of two lovers, from child of immigrants

Here is an example of Celeste’s work.

‘I Wanna Go To Bed’

There’s cement in my chest.

Might as well fill up the rest

Fill me up, pour it up

Down to my toes

Up to my head

Let me drown in my bed

Where it’s safe to stay

(And where it’s safe to write poetry about boys who hurt me)

Let the pillows cushion my heart

Just remove it from me, pull me apart

(Oh wait, you already did that…)

Rest it in softness, cause that’s what it needs

Out there all it does is bleed

I’m tired of bleeding.

I bled for you.

I felt for you

I opened up myself to you

I had no idea you were shutting me out

I must have unconsciously ignored my doubt

I guess that I was being blind

I forgot there are fuck bois of all kinds.

Like the ones that don’t seem like it

That really aren’t

That couldn’t be

And you aren’t. I’m sorry I called you that.

But who dares to feel feelings?

It’s preposterous.

Certainly not I

I definitely didn’t

Wouldn’t

Couldn’t?

(Hahahaha I’m kidding,

I only felt everything.)