Meet the new Hump Day writers

New writers will share their knowledge of sex positivity to start conversations about sex
Meet the new Hump Day writers
Giphy

The Badger Herald finds it important to talk about sex.

The Hump Day column allows students to talk about topics relating to sex that people may not otherwise want to talk about. This year, the column is being reworked with new writers.

The Badger Herald spoke with these new writers so the general public can be more familiar with the columnists.

The following interview was edited for style and clarity.

The Badger Herald: What is your year in school and major?

Adi Dina: I am a Sophomore majoring in English and Art History.

BH: Why did you want to write for this column?

AD: I chose to write in this column because I think sex positivity and safety is an important conversation, particularly on college campuses. I believe that sex education needs to be a more widespread thing at UW and on campuses nationwide.

BH: What do you think you can offer the column?

AD: Last semester I took a human sexuality course and had important, thought-provoking conversations with my classmates. I learned how critical open conversations about sex are to our wellbeing.

BH: What does sex positivity mean to you?

AD: Sex positivity to me is to make sex an open, comfortable conversation devoid of shame and awkwardness.

BH: What is the importance of consent in sexual activity?

AD: Consent is the most important aspect of sexual activity. In order to have good and safe sex you must communicate with your partner consent should be an essential facet of your conversations. These types of conversations are a must.

BH: What is your favorite sex position?

AD: Deep stick.

BH: What advice can you offer readers that may want to experiment sexually, but don’t know where to start?

AD: If you want to sexually experiment, I believe that you should with your own body first. Masturbating regularly allows you to learn about your body so that you can have positive sexual experiences. Plus, it’s a great stress reliever for all of us stressed students.

BH: What is your sexual identity?

AD: My sexual identity based on the Kinsey scale would be mostly heterosexual with some homosexual experiences.

BH: How would you describe your sexual perspective in three words?

AD: Safe, open and fun.

BH: How has sex positivity impacted your life?

AD: Sex positivity has impacted my life in an incredible way. I believe that good sex begins with good communication. I am very comfortable having conversations about sex with both my friends and my partner, which has improved my sex life significantly.

Hump Day: The nuances of sex-positivity

BH: What is your year in school and major?

Tolu Igun: I am a junior studying psychology and philosophy.

BH: Why did you want to write for this column?

TI: I think it is important for young adults to learn about different people’s perspectives on sex. Everyone has a unique experience, so there is no reason to compare oneself to someone else. Everybody is not doing it and that should never be an excuse for you to.

BH: What do you think you can offer the column?

TI: I learned a lot about sex from a human sexuality course I took that I feel like we all should have been taught as we were growing up and navigating puberty. I would like to talk about sex from the psychological perspective I have gained. And I would like to offer my honest opinion.

BH: What does sex positivity mean to you?

TI: Sex positivity to me means being comfortable in your own body and being able to engage in conversations about sex without feeling ashamed. Not only is sex positivity about oneself, but it can also involve learning about other people’s sexuality and being comfortable around people who are different from you.

BH: What is the importance of consent in sexual activity?

TI: Consent is crucial. People also need to understand what consent means. No means no. Just because a person does not say no, it does not mean they said yes. And someone who says yes can later change their mind and want to stop.

BH: What is your favorite sex position?

TI: The stand and carry position.

BH: What advice can you offer readers that may want to experiment sexually, but don’t know where to start?

TI: Do not ever do anything you are not comfortable with. Your partner needs to respect your boundaries, but you also need to make sure they understand where you draw the line before things go too far. Make sure you are able to communicate with each other.

BH: What is your sexual identity?

TI: Heterosexual technically, but if I am attracted to someone who is also attracted to me, that’s all that really matters.

TI: Open, connective and fun.

BH: How has sex positivity impacted your life?

TI: Learning about the importance of sex positivity has allowed me to become more confident in my own skin. Sex was treated as such a taboo topic when I was younger, but I really think it is necessary for teens and younger kids to learn about as they grow up. Sex shouldn’t seem so complicated in one’s adult life.

Hump Day: Get the scoop on scissoring

BH: What is your year in school and major?

Erica Uyenbat: I am a sophomore majoring in Political Science and Comm Arts with a minor in Digital Studies.

BH:  Why did you want to write for this column?

EU: When it comes to sex, too many people perceive it as a taboo topic. I think writing for this column facilitates a conversation for people to be more open about sexual expression.

EU: Drawing from our experiences, I think the team of columnists for Hump Day will bring about different perspectives on sex.

EU: Sex positivity to me is all about embracing sexual expression with a large emphasis on promoting self-love and body positivity.

EU: Consent is fundamental to sexual activity. Especially on college campuses, consent is key in creating a sex-positive atmosphere. Any sexual act should be comfortable and most importantly, enjoyable.

EU: My best piece of advice is to know yourself and your body before experimenting sexually with others. Everyone is different and having a clear idea of what your preferences are can give you a positive start on including others into that area of your life.

EU: Respect, acceptance, and empower.

EU: To me, sex positivity is everything. I want people to know that sex can be such a positive force in your life when there is proper consent and communication between all parties involved — even if it’s just yourself. Sex positivity is centered around acceptance and respect. Growing up, I always thought sex was very shameful and something that should never be spoken about, but sex should be talked about and it should be a healthy conversation.