What’s on Tap: For spectacular views, interesting cocktails check out The Madison Blind

Atop swanky Graduate Hotel, this bar is sure to impress
Katie Cooney

There isn’t much cocktail bar The Madison Blind doesn’t offer to its customers.

Near campus? Check. A rooftop bar? Check. Spectacular views of both the lake and the capital? Double check. Combining these elements, The Madison Blind might be one of the most unique bars on the isthmus.

Located above the Graduate Hotel at 601 Langdon St., the Madison Blind is a sleek, modern cocktail bar and lounge that boasts great food and drinks to couple with the amazing view. While it is located on Langdon Street, it resembles any upscale bar found near the Capitol.

Katie Cooney/The Badger Herald

After riding an elevator to the top of the hotel for access to The Blind, customers are  welcomed into a bar area that’s perfectly arranged. People lounging in the chairs are scattered throughout, either chatting with the bartender or ordering a drink.

Stepping back into the open table area, wall-to-wall windows surround the designer furniture. At night, dimly lit candles set an appropriate mood throughout.

Katie Cooney/The Badger Herald

After finding a seat and scanning the menu, I ended up going with the Puncho Villa: a jalapeño-infused tequila based drink with agave nectar, cucumber, watermelon, lime juices and mint. My friend went with the Mendota Martini, made with cucumber gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and orange marmalade.

While waiting for the drinks to make their way to our table, we checked out the outside to take in the bar’s renowned view. While the Capitol only pops up slightly over the other surrounding buildings in the area, it still makes for a great sight.

Katie Cooney/The Badger Herald

Shortly after we came back to our table, the drinks arrive. After taking our first few sips and were pleasantly surprised. The jalapeño tequila definitely provides an interesting kick, but pairs very smoothly with the concoction of juices added into the cocktail. It’s slightly spicy, yet smooth, savory and even a little sweet.

The Mendota Martini was a delight as well, and it was just as sweet and fruity as I expected it to be. It’s definitely a perfect drink one could enjoy out up top on the bar’s patio during a hot and humid summer day.

Katie Cooney/The Badger Herald

Drinks and atmosphere aside, the Blind may have some limitations in terms of the type of outings it can host. Its refined cocktails and breath-taking views are perfect for a relaxed night out with some friends or a first date that requires a strong first impression.

Overall, I definitely recommend checking the Blind out. For a more cultured, chill experience that few bars nearby can offer, along with beautiful views to accompany, the Blind simply can’t be beat.

Katie Cooney/The Badger Herald