[UPDATED]: Revelry goin’ up on a Saturday with 2016 headliner iLoveMakonnen

UW’s own spring fling is back with new artists ready to leave their mark on Madison
Joey Reuteman

Madison will truly be going up on April 30th — the date Revelry will return for 2016, with none other than Atlanta viral sensation iLoveMakonnen as its headliner.

After months of speculation and uncertainty, the 2016 Revelry lineup is finally here. Though the changes made to the format of the event may have caused a slight dip in the overall quality compared to last year, WUD Music has still set up what should be one hell of a spectacle at the Orpheum Theater.

Here is the full line-up, complete with The Badger Herald’s initial reactions:

1. Winner of Badgeroo: WUD Music is saving the opening slot for whichever artist wins the new annual battle of the bands contest, which will happen sometime in April. Obviously, nothing is known about this artist since contestants themselves for the slot have yet to be released. But it is always nice to see some fellow Badgers alongside state and national acts.
  2. DJ DavillaOccupying the second spot will be another local act — the student DJ Davilla. Having performed at Liquid multiple times as of late, attendees can expect to get their groove on with a bass-heavy EDM experience.
  3. Finding Novyon: Minneapolis rapper Finding Novyon takes the next three slots. The emcee should provide a nice change of pace from the above EDM producer, as his trap-sound will provide a slower, yet compelling atmosphere.
  4. Webster X: The next performer, Webster X, will continue the show with his genre-twisting cloud rap. The Milwaukee native will captivate and confound listeners with emotive raps that are still solidly rooted in well-structured flow and rhythm.
  5. Hudson Mohawke: Hudson Mohawke will then bring the show from the national to the international. The Scottish DJ and signee of Kanye West’s GOOD Music label will transition the show briefly back to EDM — though in a form of the genre that not all fans in Madison may be familiar with.
  6. iLoveMakonnen: Finally, iLoveMakonnen will close the show in what should be an epic finale. The artist responsible for absolute bangers such as “Tuesday” and “Wrists” will bring his unique, hallucinogenic rap to the stage. Another tantalizing thought is the possibility of the featured artists on the Atlanta rapper’s tracks like Father, Key or even potentially Drake making an appearance. 

Let us know what you think about Revelry’s lineup on our Twitter (@BH_Arts), and stay tuned for artist interviews and previews for one of Madison’s marquee musical events.