‘Motown the Musical’ electrified Overture with classically groovy hits, stellar acting

Featuring roles of Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, play tells tale of town’s thriving music scene
Photo Courtesy of Joan Marcus

The Overture was electric Tuesday night as the touring company of “Motown the Musical” brought down the house with a performance so booming with energy it would be no surprise if folks walking down State Street were dancing outside.

“Motown the Musical” dove into the life of Berry Gordy and his journey creating and nurturing Motown, and the stars and hits that came out of it.

After working on the assembly line at Detroit’s Lincoln-Mercury automobile plant, Gordy became interested in the idea of an assembly line-style record company where a kid could walk off the street and, after the Motown process, come out a star.

As the orchestra played the groovy overture, a large Motown logo on the main curtain flashed technicolor lights. The theater filled with Motown classics such as “Reach Out I’ll Be There” and “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg” while a feeling of pure joy and nostalgia pervaded in a thick haze over the audience.

The structure of the show packaged the timeless story quite nicely. The first scene consisted of a tribute concert in progress for the 25th Anniversary of Motown. Tensions on set were high because Gordy had decided not to show. When the scene shifted to Gordy’s home, the audience realized he had lost faith in the company and people he worked so hard for. From there, we returned to Gordy’s childhood — and thus began the Motown tale.

To play a music icon like Gordy is no easy feat. With that being said, Chester Gregory rose to the challenge and could not have done a better job. It is rare to hear a vocal tone so pure and to witness a stage presence so powerful. His partner in crime was the beautiful and charismatic Allison Semmes as Diana Ross, Gordy’s love interest.

At its core, the draw of this show was it featured more than 40 classic Motown hits. Especially exhilarating was when Ross and Gordy professed their love to one another and burst into the Marvin Gaye hit “You’re All I Need to Get By.” The scene was reminiscent of that beautifully vulnerable moment when you tell your crush you like them — and the feeling is mutual.

Motown’s emphasis on collaboration was truly revolutionary, as well as the sense of unity throughout the musical itself. From ensemble to lead, every cast member performed to their highest potential and created a truly inspired night.

The show ended just as it began, back at Motown’s 25th anniversary tribute show. This time, Gordy was in attendance. To see Gordy surrounded by his legends, such as Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and Gladys Knight, sent chills down the spines of the audience.