The Badger Herald’s definitive ranking of The Oscars’ best picture nominees

As awards season continues to heat up, read our thoughts on which film will take home the top prize
The Badger Heralds definitive ranking of The Oscars best picture nominees
YAHOOENTERTAINMENT.TUMBLR.COM / GIPHY

Now that the Oscar nominations decisions for best picture have had some time to sink in, true contenders for the top prize have emerged.

This year, none of the Best Picture nominees were objectively disappointing, but some of them were definitely underwhelming, especially when compared to some films that missed out on a nomination like “Carol” and “Inside Out.”

Oscars nominations disappoint potential nominees, fans alike

Here is The Badger Herald’s ranking of the Oscar nominees for best picture:

8.  “Brooklyn”

‘Brooklyn.’
FOXSEARCHLIGHTPICTURES.TUMBLR.COM / Giphy

If one film could have gone to the wayside to make way for “Carol,” this should have been it.

“Brooklyn” is by no means a bad film. The story follows a young Irish immigrant’s romantic journey through 1950s New York. Saoirse Ronan (“Stockholm, Pennsylvania) is always fun to watch, and Emory Cohen’s (“Stealing Cars”) portrayal of her fiery Italian suitor is thoroughly entertaining. “Brooklyn” is not a boring watch, but it’s also not exceptional.

7.  “Bridge of Spies”

YAHOOENTERTAINMENT.TUMBLR.COM / GIPHY

This film is grade A Oscar bait from Hollywood’s greatest living director, Steven Spielberg. Tom Hanks (“A Hologram for the King”) turns in a decent performance, but Mark Rylance’s (“Bing”) turn as a captive KGB spy far overshadows him.

Nomination for nearly every major award justly rewarded Rylance for his performance, but a Best Picture nomination for a movie that is nowhere near Spielberg’s best seems a bit much, especially in lieu of what the Academy passed over.

6. “The Martian”

ZHIRLEYRUIOP.TUMBLR.COM / GiPHY

It was an excellent year for blockbusters, not the least of which was Ridley Scott’s “The Martian.”

Matt Damon (“Interstellar”) leads with an excellent performance, and in what the Hollywood Foreign Press Association said was a rollicking comedy, “The Martian” hits its mark. It’s much better than “Brooklyn” and “Bridge,” but not quite exceptional enough to crack the top five.

5. The Big Short

ZHIRLEYRUIOP.TUMBLR.COM / GIPHY

Adam McKay is the most bro director currently working in cinema. His biggest hit was every high school boy’s favorite movie, “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy,” and now he’s brought a surprisingly hilarious retelling of the events leading up to the 2008 financial crisis to the awards conversation.

With Christian Bale (“Knight of Cups”) as the lead and Steve Carell (“Freeheld”), “The Big Short” is much funnier than its subject matter has any right to be. The film easily deserves to be here.

4. “Mad Max: Fury Road”

AMERICANFILMINSTITUTE.TUMBLR.COM

Released around the same time as the spectacularly disappointing “Tomorrowland,” “Mad Max: Fury Road” was as good as a direct shot of adrenaline. A surprisingly feminist romp through the desert with more special effects than any viewer would think possible, George Miller’s newest addition to his already excellent canon is definitely worth the watch.

3. “The Revenant”

MICDOTCOM.TUMBLR.COM / GIPHY

Coming up with a concrete opinion about “The Revenant” is quite difficult. On one hand, it’s far too long and ends horribly. On the other hand, Alejandro G. Innaritu’s latest feature challenges “Gravity” for the title of most gorgeous film of the new millennium.

Shot on location, using almost only natural light, legendary cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki’s shows off his full potential, and “The Revenant” is absolutely gorgeous. If Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t finally win his Oscar later this month for his incredible performance, there is absolutely no justice.

2. “Room”

MICDOTCOM.TUMBLR.COM

Best Actress shoo-in, Brie Larson (“Trainwreck”), turns in one of the best performances in years alongside spectacular child actor Jacob Tremblay (“Before I Wake”). “Room” is a spectacular piece of filmmaking, and to say any details about it in writing would be doing it disservice. Just go watch it and prepare to bawl your eyes out.

1. “Spotlight”

HALBOOR.COM / GIPHY

It was the best film of 2015, and it’s also the best nominee of them all. The story of the Boston Globe’s unveiling of The Boston Archdiocese’s pedophilia scandal could have come off as trite and preachy, but instead it’s a minimalist gut punch. “Spotlight” rides on the shoulders of its performances, and it does so beautifully. Michael Keaton (“Birdman”), Mark Ruffalo (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”), Rachel McAdams (“Southpaw”) and the rest of this superb cast carry “Spotlight” to excellence.