Union South-housed fashion show successful

fashionshow_KF
MODA Magazine’s week of events wrapped up last Friday with a display of runway style.[/media-credit]

After months of hard work, the staff of MODA magazine and their co-sponsor Wisconsin Union Directorate Music successfully put together the University of Wisconsin’s first-ever Fashion Week and ended it with a big bang at Union South this past Friday.

The Sett at Union South helped wrap up the week with a free fashion show event to showcase national brands, local stores and Madison student collections in a charged setting.

Guests were encouraged to get dressed up for a night of glam and glitz and to put their best pump forward. Upon arrival, each attendee was given the opportunity to stand on a red carpet rolled out just for the event and have their picture taken by multiple professional photographers. This simple touch added to the high-fashion feel of the event and allowed guests to show off their own style in a unique and exciting way.

The background jams, courtesy of UW student DJ Diox, pumped up the crowd during the show and kept it running smoothly. The music had an upbeat tempo and encompassed a mix of chart-topping artists like Beyonce. The models enjoyed the beats as well. They strutted their stuff on the catwalk with confidence and the perfect amount of sass to songs like LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It,” followed by a few giggles, hoots and whistles from the crowd, keeping the evening light and fun.

The show was split into two halves, the first featuring more commercial from Ann Taylor, Rent The Runway, Gap Lands’ End and New York & Co. The first half also included a collection by Caroline Wilson, a design student at UW. Her pieces were cute, funky and included an ingenious Campbell’s soup dress. The designs in the first half of the show included spring casual wear as well as evening attire. Spring colors such as coral, robin’s egg blue and purple popped up throughout the show along with khakis for the men and various colored cardigans.

During a short intermission allowing the models to change; oldies like “Sweet Caroline” maintained the atmosphere. 

The second half of the show presented more high-fashion designers. Flaunt Clubwear, based in Chicago and run by Liz Simpson, featured an array of outfits for a night out on the town. Jazzman, Twigs, Shoo and Pitaya, all campus-area shops, each presented their spring looks as well.

Libby Peterkort, a UW design program graduate also showcased pieces made specifically for the event, debuting some fabulous craftsmanship and creativity. Nicholas Schmidt, a Madison-based designer, chipped in some of his custom denim and leather goods including a great classic, unisex suspender look. The high fashion portion flaunted some risqu? see-through tops and dramatic gothic pieces done by Rachel Frank. Frank’s pieces were exceptionally interesting, dark and mysterious: all black with feathered shoulder pieces and shredded leggings. Coupled with intense music and great acting by the models, the presentation was unique, to say the least.

Support came from several local and national retailers: All of the shoes for the event were provided by Aldo and Madison Sole; all styling was done by The Aveda Institute. The entire show was directed by KJ Lynn, a local model and modeling coach. She also casted the models and choreographed the show.

Once the runway show concluded, Chicago’s BBU hit the stage for some after-show entertainment.

In all, MODA’s fashion show as a hit. The guests enjoyed themselves and the food and drinks available at The Sett bar and grill. The show was well choreographed, not too fast or slow paced and, thanks to the models, had a cool, laid back vibe.

Head to modamadison.com to take a look at the online magazine, or visit their Facebook page under MODA Fashion Magazine to check out contests and more.