Boutique offers way to ‘skirt’ fall blues

Danielle Boorstein and Midori Shaw started RubyJupe in 2010 to improve women’s apparel for Wisconsin’s wintry climate. The store currently has several locations and online shopping.[/media-credit]

Outerwear can bring to mind Columbia jackets, North Face coats, Patagonia vests and even, for the most daring, the occasional pair of fleece-lined jeans.

RubyJupe, a newly-opened local clothing company, redefines traditional outerwear with its fashionable, fun and functional insulated outerwear skirts, giving outerwear a feminine spin.

Danielle Boorstein and Midori Shaw, both Middleton residents, are the creative women behind RubyJupe. Even though Shaw and Boorstein have been friends for 10 years, neither had backgrounds in manufacturing nor design when they began working on RubyJupe in January last year.

Boorstein explained, “We found out there was such a thing as an insulated skirt and we thought – we want to do it better. We want to do the best kind of insulated skirt because we think they are so great.”

The outerwear is sold through their online store, www.rubyjupe.com, which was launched in March 2011, as well as boutiques in the Madison area.

So what is a RubyJupe insulated outerwear skirt? The skirts are made out of “windproof, water-repellent shell fabric with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish,” according to the website. RubyJupe offers three different lengths for the unique, insulated skirts: the Mini, Midi and Maxi. The lightweight skirts also zip right off and on, making them an extremely useful and simple piece of outerwear.

The skirts are trendy, useful and fun, as seems to be the epitome of RubyJupe. They have features like full-length zippers, pockets in the front and back, belt loops, elastic in the back waistband and more. They also have polyester insulation and polyester lining, making these skirts very warm.

“They are insulated outerwear skirts that you put on over what you are wearing for the day,” explained Boorstein.

Boorstein and Shaw cited some of their goals with the RubyJupe skirts were to make something fashionable, functional, versatile and manufactured in the United States.

“It’s just a cute, simple design; it goes with every outfit,” Boorstein said.

With winters like the ones we are blessed with here in Madison, function is essential. “I think being in this part of the country, we think ‘I’m tired of being cold. I don’t want to wear snow pants,'” Shaw said.

Shaw continued, “We’re women. [The skirts] add a feminine touch.”

Shaw brings up an important point: Women want to look cute, even if it is the dead of winter. (SO to that girl in tights and a skirt in class in late January.)

Boorsetin explained further, “If you are really cold walking to class, and you can put this on with your fleece and your vest and then you can zip it off without stepping in and out of it.”

RubyJupe skirts truly seem like a winter must-have, from what the two founders describe.

“Having to stand around being cold places, carrying frumpy blankets, is a pain. You put this on, turn around and wear it wherever you go,” Shaw commented.

Boorstein and Shaw said the RubyJupe skirts are perfect for wearing over leggings or yoga pants, as well as wearable for staying warm on every occasion. From going on a run, to class, the gym or even UW soccer games, the skirts sound like every college girl’s dream.

Not to mention the skirts are soft to the touch and trendy looking – quite a feat for a mid-winter essential.

Boorstein and Shaw’s next step is to reach out to other universities, grow their online business, locate more boutiques to feature RubyJupe, as well as look into different colors and items to add to the line.

Boorstein said RubyJupe’s success has exceeded the duo’s expectations, and they anticipate even more this winter with the new Madison locations.

“The highlight has just been when people get it they say ‘I can’t believe I lasted this long without one,'” she added. “And also when it was warm out people said ‘I can’t wait to wear it again.’ So, just knowing that we made something that people respond to.”

Don’t be surprised if it seems like the girls of UW-Madison are warm and well dressed this winter – thanks to RubyJupe.