Justin Nozuka full of ‘wow,’ ready to rock Friday night

Energy – it’s what keeps us all going, what we crave when we drink coffee or when we turn on some upbeat music. More importantly though, it’s what keeps an audience captivated. Pure, overwhelming energy and creativity is exactly what came shining through the long distance phone line with 22-year-old musician Justin Nozuka at the other end. His fast-paced yet intricate replies revealed a person truly excited by life with a real passion for what he does – create authentic music full of heart and soul that leaves his fans feeling connected.

“It’s rock-soul I guess. It’s inspired by blues music, soul music, R&B music, folk music…all kinds of different styles,” Nozuka said of his musical character in a recent interview with The Badger Herald.

His tunes range from perfect pop hits for the radio to emotionally charged, introspective ballads. One thing that stays consistent throughout Nozuka’s work however is his flawlessly pitched, smooth voice with its occasional raspiness that adds just the right amount of edge. Though he can be compared to James Morrison and Jason Mraz or even Jeff Buckley (call them the soulful J’s), Justin Nozuka still has a unique quality to his bluesy beats that has evolved since his 2007 debut album, Holly.

“This next album was kind of my second attempt at making an album, you know, so it was like, OK, I’m going to go for it again and this is what I want to do this time. I wanted to have my band on there. I wanted some of the songs to be a little more expressive…[to] try to capture more of a warm feeling,” Nozuka revealed about You I Wind Land and Sea.

His 12-track sophomore release features songs like “Carried You” and “My Heart is Yours” that can leave listeners feeling like they’re lying out in the sun by Lake Mendota on an early Autumn afternoon. YIWLS uncovers a happier side of Nozuka with less gloomy, cry-in-your-room-alone melodies.

“Writing a song from a really sad place, I don’t want to do that anymore. I want to be more positive,” he said after explaining that his music used to come from “heavy emotion [and] heartbreak.” Nozuka wants his fans to have hope, and feel that there is peace and balance in the world. Along with this upbeat change, his new album has more of a harmonious feel than the last, which as Nozuka pointed out, often just felt like a singer-songwriter recording tracks with session players. On stage, this newfound harmony with his band is bound to enthrall, along with Nozuka’s incredible, fun energy which may not always be fully reflected in the recording studio.

“I’m really feeling the air that’s coming into my lungs, and I’m really feeling my body and my energy, and I’m feeling all that’s around me. I’m full of wow… I’m full of wow in that moment,” Nozuka said with excitement about finding inspiration for his music. His words were almost poetic, and he apologized for a few “crazy answers.”

They were honest, and they showed a kind of contagious liveliness; a side that can only be witnessed in his presence, even over the phone.

Barely three years after his introduction to the music world, Nozuka already has a solid fan base that he shares a comfortable relationship with. At a recent concert he even joined them in the line outside of the Altar Bar in Pittsburgh.

“I always wanted to be famous when I was younger… [like] being in the Backstreet Boys or being your own version of it. It all kind of evolved for me. I want to be really, really big,” Nozuka confessed.

While he has the looks to be in a boy band, his music is much more profound. Young and full of spirit, Justin Nozuka is making a dent in the music world, and it’s only the beginning. This is his second tour, and he’s perfecting his act with each night on the road. “We really kind of express ourselves on stage,” he says with a bit of laughter. “I think we have a good show. I like it.”

Join Justin Nozuka at the Majestic Friday, Oct. 8 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20.