‘Rocket’ man hits all the right notes

Sometimes growing up does not treat us well. We get acne, we get awkward and we get responsibilities. But growing up is also transformative; we become who we’re meant to be. And the man behind the band The Rocket Summer, Bryce Avary, has been transformed. Of Men and Angels reflects his new “grown up” status, revealing a deeper, calmer side to The Rocket Summer that hasn’t been so obvious in the past.

Although Avary doesn’t stray far from the power-pop feel of his previous albums, there is an unmistakable maturity in almost every song on the 15-track album. The themes of the songs are more adult, and even though Christian themes have been present in the past, Of Men and Angels carries a heavier load.

“This is a very spiritually charged album. That’s the biggest thing in my life and it’s what keeps me going. That’s the root of everything I do,” Avary said on his website’s bio interview.

Reflecting the maturity and spirituality of the whole album is the song “Of Men and Angels.” Sharing its name with the album title, the lyrics dig deep into what Avary stands for. “Here I am dear Lord/ Tasting hints of fame/ I don’t want it anymore/ If it’s not you that I gain/ Want to fall at your feet/ Don’t want to fall from your peace.” Also shining with Avary’s seasoned attitude are the heavier themed “Walls,” about dealing with depression, and “Nothing Matters,” which focuses on forgetting about the things that get us down.

The only thing that could stand in the way of The Rocket Summer on this album is the more somber tone and lack of pop-oriented, upbeat tracks that have been prevalent in previous albums, which gave the songs a fun, youthful feel. This also made The Rocket Summer accessible to a wide audience, one that may not want to listen to the religious, serious motifs present in Of Men and Angels.

Although the carefree lightheartedness may not be as frequent as it was in 2007’s Do You Feel, or even Hello, Good Friend from 2005, the unrelenting positivity The Rocket Summer is known for hasn’t gone anywhere, and neither has Avary’s unbelievable talent. Playing every instrument you hear on the album on his own, the complicated guitar riffs and piano melodies mix perfectly with Avary’s breathy highs and mellow lows. His versatile voice is best showcased in “Tara, I’m Terrible,” written about his wife, where he harmonizes with himself.

This new album may put off listeners, but Avary’s goal wasn’t to please everyone. On his website he said, “I went into it with the attitude that I want to make an album of genuine and honest songs written from my heart and personal experiences. I wanted this to be the best record I’ve ever made, so when people look back on it, they say ‘That’s an album which really affected my soul.'”

The Rocket Summer may have slightly changed directions, but there is no doubt that fans will feel right at home and newcomers will be impressed. Bryce Avary’s passion for his music and his own personal experiences appear in every line he sings. Of Men and Angels is full of intricate instrumentals and grown-up themes, and though it may not affect your soul, it will captivate your ears.

4 stars out of 5.