Local event says let them eat pie!

In case you’ve been too caught up with midterms, finding a costume or have just been hibernating the past few weeks and didn’t notice, it’s starting to get quite chilly outside. Not only does this cold weather mean it’s time to start packing away the shorts and flip-flops, but it also marks the end of the season for outdoor farmers markets. Therefore, why not celebrate another great season of locally grown food with a slice of homegrown heaven on earth: pie. On Sunday, the REAP Food Group will host their fifth annual Pie Palooza at the Goodman Community Center in Madison.

As a local nonprofit organization, REAP, which stands for Research, Education, Action and Policy, is committed to building a food system that is healthful, just and both economically and environmentally sustainable, according to Miriam Grunes, REAP’s executive director.

“We are concerned with growing and distributing our food and preserving our ability to continue to do so for future generations, preserving our soils, habitats and water, and returning a living wage and humane working conditions to our farmers and farm laborers,” Grunes said. “Without all of these pieces, our capacity to feed ourselves will be diminished.”

One way REAP strives to live out their mission is by committing to projects that shorten the distance between farm and table. Five years ago, REAP members created Pie Palooza to help fulfill this purpose.

“We were looking for two things,” said Terese Allen, REAP’s board chair and chair of the pie committee. “First, we wanted a diverse fundraiser that made the point about the pleasures and benefits of locally grown food, and secondly, we wanted a way to bring eaters together with chefs and bakers in a fun way.”

With these goals in mind, REAP started Pie Palooza as a way for Madison to enjoy both savory and sweet pies baked by area chefs using local products. In addition, the proceeds of the event would go toward promoting the inclusion of healthy, local, sustainably grown foods in schools, restaurants, food stores and home kitchens. Although the event did not take off right away, the growing interest in sustainability helped Pie Palooza get cooking.

“When we started, sustainable was a new concept for many people,” Allen said. “Nowadays, sustainability has hit mainstream and people are starting to realize that our food system is broken. They also just want good pie.”

Previously a summer event, Pie Palooza will take place in November this year in order to take advantage of late season veggies and meats, Allen said. There’s also no better way to celebrate pie season than with pies made with locally grown ingredients.

“When you eat locally, the food isn’t shipped thousands of miles. So it’s fresh, delicious and more nutritious,” Grunes said. “Also, money that is spent close to home stays in our area to build stronger local communities.”

Allen added, “Locally grown food is better because what you taste isn’t just on your tongue but also on your mind, because you know you are helping the local economy, farmers, the environment and your health.”

The restaurants donating pies this year include a number of Madison staples like L’Etoile Restaurant, Dardanelles, Harvest and Lombardino’s. Although many of the restaurants donating pies this year are involved in REAP’s Buy Fresh, Buy Local program and, therefore, already use local ingredients on a regular basis, some eateries made new connections as a result of this event.

“Part of our mission is to spread the word about locally grown food so when we can connect places like Hubbard Avenue Diner to local sweet potato farmers so they can make their sweet potato pumpkin pie. Everybody wins,” Allen said. “It’s all about keeping connections going and growing.”

At the event, Pie Palooza attendees will get a choice of two slices of scrumptious sweet or savory pies, a farm fresh salad and beverage for $16 in advance, $18 at the door. Yet, with choices ranging from minced meat pie to peruvian eggfruit pie to traditional apple and pumpkin pies, it may be a tough decision.

“Some restaurants will come with something specially baked for the event and others will bring one of their signature dishes,” Allen said. “My favorite is the spaghetti pancetta pie; I specifically asked for that one to come back.”

Regardless of which two slices you choose — or more for those who can’t resist paying $5 for additional slices — you’re guaranteed to please not only your taste buds, but also your conscious.

“Pie. That’s all I need to say to convince people to attend,” Allen joked. “Who doesn’t love it, and who doesn’t want it? There’s just something about sweet and savory goodness wrapped in a crust. At the same time, you get to help the environment and local community.”

Pie Palooza will take place on Sunday, Nov. 8 from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Goodman Community Center. Visit www.reapfoodgroup.com to purchase tickets or for more information.