‘Tomorrow’ worth checking out today

Deeper than just the hot summer single “Fire Burning,” the rest of Sean Kingston’s new album will also be a success “on the dance floor.” Although Tomorrow is only Kingston’s sophomore record, the album has been greatly anticipated.

To generate some buzz around the album prior to its release, Kingston took a slightly unusual route by releasing five exclusive promo singles throughout the summer. Although the tracks could only be purchased through iTunes, Kingston created the buzz he was hoping for. The only downside of this tactic was the single “War,” which originally featured rapper Lil’ Wayne and whose part was unfortunately dropped from the official album track. This move was a definite disservice to the song, which now lacks a hook to listeners.

The actual album offers two other collaborations that create unique tracks for the CD and work to help Kingston branch out and explore new styles. The first (and most interesting) is an appearance by Good Charlotte, who brings a punk rock chorus to Kingston’s hip-hop and reggae sound. The mix of these genres comes together quite nicely in the track “Shoulda Let U Go.”

The second collaboration enlisted Wyclef Jean to help cool down the album with “Ice Cream Girl.” It’s a refreshing track that creatively blends a sweet melody with hard-hitting lyrics that tell the story of an incarcerated father who “will never get the chance to see his daughter eating ice cream.” It’s a sad story that rings true in Kingston’s own life, as his mother and sister were imprisoned during his childhood.

The most personal track on the album is the second single, “Face Drop,” which illustrates the internal struggle Kingston has faced with his appearance. Instead of another shallow song like “Beautiful Girls” — featured on his self-titled debut album — Kingston condemns superficial relationships with the chorus, “Sayin’ that I look better if I was thinner/ Don’t you know you shoulda love me for my inner.” Perhaps the newfound self-acceptance seen in this track gave him the confidence to put together a stronger record. This one will quickly become a popular favorite since it has it all: catchy lyrics and a hot dance beat.

Several other tracks on the album take on similar personal meanings as he often reflects on the struggles of his past. However, this album is a representation of his hope for the future. The title, Tomorrow, reflects this sentiment of moving forward from his past and growing as a person and an artist. In the opening track, “Welcome to Tomorrow,” he says, “Everything I have done up to this point has been for today/ And now this is tomorrow.” Although Kingston is just 19 and still at the beginning of his career, this album proved he is not just a fad on the hip-hop scene.

Don’t be surprised to see more of Kingston as soon as the success of this album and his current tour raise him in the charts. If you’re not a big fan already, you should consider giving this album a try because he is sure to still be around as he further comes into his sound.

And for those of you who are fans, be sure to check out the new album live when Kingston takes the stage at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison on Oct. 29.

3 stars out of 5.