‘Popular Songs’ on Yo La Tengo CD

Any musical act that has withstood a quarter of a century better be pretty damn good. Yo La Tengo is just that.

Popular Songs, the 12th studio release from indie rockers Yo La Tengo, features the same great writing and musicianship that have garnered them critical acclaim over the past 25 years but has yet to snag them much in the way of mainstream recognition.

YLT’s ability to consistently produce new sounds highlights the reason why they are called “the quintessential critics’ band” (Allmusic.com). And luckily, their reputation of creativity and originality hold strong on Popular Songs.

The album opens with “Here to Fall,” a track that could potentially mislead listeners to classify the record as ominous, edgy and experimental. Although these words all describe the first minute of the song, the vocals ease in after the initial 60 seconds and we’re left with a prime example of YLT beauty. Synth-like echoes on top of all the typical instrumentals make for a great opening track.

But a YLT CD wouldn’t be a YLT CD if it restricted itself to one type of song. Instead, the Hoboken, N.J.-based trio continues to bring in multiple styles to mix up Popular Songs.

“Avalon or Someone Very Similar,” the second track, begins in a drastically different style than the opener. It’s sunny and upbeat, but low-key. Following suit are “Nothing to Hide” and “If It’s True.” These are perfect songs as we give summer a wave goodbye and head into the autumn months – the kinds of tracks that have kept YLT fans coming back year after year since their 1986 debut Ride the Tiger.

“By Two’s” and “More Stars Than There Are in Heaven” serve up the more chilling side of Yo La Tengo, with eerie vocals more in line with speaking than singing. The slower tempo and quiet sound give the tracks an ethereal quality, something that is quite fitting for the latter title. These tracks further define YLT’s musical breadth, and they also represent the element that was missing from 2006’s I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass.

Yo La Tengo brings in some funk and surf sounds on “Periodically Double or Triple,” arguably one of the most unique songs on the album. The song boasts thought-provoking lyrics such as “Never read Proust/ Seems a little too long/ Never used the hammer/ Without somehow using it wrong.” The heavy drum beats and bass provide a solid base for this fun song.

Then something unexpected happens with the final two numbers: “The Fireside” and “And All the Glitter Is Gone” seemingly do not fit with the other songs for two main reasons. First, they clock in at 11 and 16 minutes, respectively, and second, they are purely instrumental.

Why include these two tracks? The sounds of “The Fireside” relate to the other ethereal songs of the album, but could have been better suited as a middle track instead of its place at the end. While “The Fireside” has a place on Popular Songs, “And All the Glitter Is Gone” is a jarring song that does a poor job of properly encapsulating the feel of the album. Most listeners will cut the album short, stopping before these sans vocal tracks.

Despite this misfit closing, Popular Songs is a fantastic indie rock album that will please old and new fans alike.