New ‘Halloween’ film not a ‘treat’

Much like the diabolical killers they feature, horror films have an uncanny ability to get massacred — usually at the hands of critics or unhappy theatergoers — yet, still rise again in the form of a sequel a year or two later. This, unfortunately, is the case for “Halloween II,” a sadistic, mutilation-happy film that will confuse and disgust you well before it ever scares you.

While during the slasher flick glory days — the mid-’70s to early ’80s — audiences continued to revisit their favorite monsters hoping for a good scare, nowadays they return not so much for a fright, but rather to be grossed out and see just how much blood and gore directors can pack into a movie and still achieve an “R” rating. Writer-director Rob Zombie fully understands this concept.

In this sequel to his 2007 remake of the original “Halloween,” Zombie is more bloodthirsty than ever. In a normal world, people die after one or two stabs, but in a Zombie world, it takes at least 10 stabs or 20 stomps to the face or a room entirely splattered in blood, whichever comes first. You will not be covering your eyes in fear for this one, only your mouth.

A year after where the last film left off, Laurie Strode (Scout Taylor-Compton, “Obsessed”) is still trying to forget about the horrifying experience last Halloween that nearly left her dead. Her only comfort is she did manage to kill her attacker before he had the chance to do the same to her — or at least she thought she did. It is Halloween time again, and Michael Myers (Tyler Mane, “Halloween”) is back — only this time he is going to do whatever it takes to get his second chance at Strode, who happens to have more in common with Myers than she thinks.

Although Zombie does incorporate some storylines from the original “Halloween II,” for the most part, he goes his own direction, making it clear this is a sequel to his “Halloween” remake and not a remake of “Halloween II.” While it is refreshing to see Zombie continue his efforts to reimagine the popular film franchise, his take is more disturbing and bewildering than it is entertaining. Zombie deserves credit for trying to make the film more than just your average, no-nonsense slasher flick by writing a screenplay that dives deep into the psyche of Myers and Strode, attempting to show a connection between their personas, but his efforts are ultimately futile. His use of hellish nightmare sequences and decision to have a young Myers and his mom haunting both Strode and present-day Myers are not only disturbing but also leave audiences with a severe sense of “WTF!?”

When Zombie is not pummeling audiences with bizarre hell metaphors and eerie ghosts, though, he returns to a favorite of his — gruesome death scenes. While the constant gross-out factor is the overlying problem with these sequences, there is also the setback of most these scenes having a been there, done that feel to them. Girl running through the woods, couple being murdered mid-sex and killer lurking behind a totally unaware victim are all fun horror clich?s when used right, but if there is no fear factor involved, the film just becomes another member of the torture porn club, all sight and no fright.

It is a commonly known fact that horror film acting lands only slightly above daytime television as far as talent goes, so the terrible acting in this film is expected and, therefore, does not hurt the movie as a whole. What is disappointing, though, is how Zombie depicts the most interesting character in the “Halloween” franchise, Dr. Samuel Loomis (Malcolm McDowell, “Doomsday”). In the original films, Loomis was a conflicted therapist who wanted to stop Myers, fearing he was the reason Myers became a monster in the first place. In this film, however, Loomis is just a greedy slimeball who profiteers off others’ misery by writing a book on his experiences. Not only does this depiction ruin one of the few developed characters in the franchise, but it also results in the underutilization of McDowell, the film’s only notable actor.

Overall, “Halloween II” is just another dismal blood-soaked sequel/remake that will enjoy opening box office success, only to disappear from existence afterwards. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to avoid this reunion with Michael Myers. Just don’t run for the woods because he’ll find you there — they always do.

1 1/2 stars out of 5.