Fort Atkinson theater comes alive with ‘The Sound of Music’

“South Pacific.” “Oklahoma.” “Fiddler on the Roof.” “Beauty and the Beast.” “High School Musical.”

These are just a few of the musicals that have been performed at The Fireside Theatre in the past. The theater is located in Fort Atkinson, about 45 minutes outside of Madison. It features everything from fine dining to some of the most famous musicals in the world. So, sit back, relax, put on your favorite musical soundtrack and read on to see just why this dinner theater is well worth the drive to get there.

The Fireside Theatre opened in 1964 and started as an intimate little restaurant built by Dick and Betty Klopcic. In 1978, The Fireside restaurant was joined with an old art gallery building, which then became a theater-in-the-round. Since then, The Fireside has gained shops (some which have grown in size), gone through renovations and passed ownership to the next generation of Klopcics who run it to this day.

The Badger Herald recently spoke with Julie Nordeen, The Fireside Theatre’s marketing manager, and asked her why the theater is worth the trip for people in Madison.

“The Fireside is just a short 45-minute scenic drive from Madison and well worth the trip for the quality of food, service and theater Madisonians will find. It’s also a Wisconsin tradition dating back to 1964,” Nordeen said.

The Fireside Theatre is unlike anything here in Madison, and it has been home to most of the major American musicals, as well as an annual Christmas celebration and live band revues. Also setting it apart from the rest is the dinner theater experience.

“Going out to dinner before seeing a show makes any evening more special,” Nordeen said. “Since the Klopcic Family started as restaurateurs first before branching out into theater, the dining is equally as important as the show.”

So, what exactly is The Fireside experience like?

“A typical Fireside experience begins with a friendly greeting as you arrive to pick up your tickets. After being shown to a table in one of the many lovely dining areas there is often time to browse through the three gift shops that feature a wide variety of gifts and collectibles from jewelry and home d?cor, to music and theater related gifts to Wisconsin Badgers merchandise,” Nordeen said. “Dining and service in The Fireside restaurant are first rate. The live, professional performance of a hit Broadway musical or original revue in our 700-seat theater-in-the-round tops off the evening’s experience.”

And Fireside doesn’t work with amateurs. As a matter of fact, they take on the same kind of professionals you’d see on stages in New York or Chicago.

“We hire the same caliber of talent you would find in national tours and even on Broadway. The Klopcic family’s commitment to quality is second to none in every aspect of the organization, which makes for a first-class experience for each of our guests,” Nordeen said.

The Fireside’s latest performance will soon be Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “The Sound of Music,” which will run until Nov. 1. ‘ “The Sound of Music’ is a true Broadway classic and is in fact the kind of show Fireside does best,” Nordeen said. ” The cast is made up of professionals from New York and around the country, while the six younger Von Trapp children were cast from local auditions.”

In the end, what really makes The Fireside Theatre unique?

“As the area’s only full-time, year-round professional theater. … Whenever you’re in the mood for theater, we’re here for you,” Nordeen said.

So, if you’re looking for a classy way to experience the arts complete with fine dining, major musicals with a top-notch cast and unique gift shops, then The Fireside Theatre is for you.

“The Sound of Music” will run until Nov. 1 at The Fireside Theatre in Fort Atkinson. To make a reservation, call the box office at 800-477-9505.