‘Buck Howard’ a ‘Great’ movie

It’s that time of year again, when the summer blockbuster season is on the verge of erupting, and one has to sit back and thank the movie gods for independent films. Sure, mind-blowing special effects and explosive action sequences are awesome, but sometimes you just need a little heart. For times like these, there is “The Great Buck Howard,” a charming comedy about professional integrity and finding happiness in doing what you love.

As a man who has spent his entire professional career creating indie flicks and documentaries, director/writer Sean McGinly (“Two Days”) knows how to produce a captivating film on a low budget. Although this film is not flashy by any means, it hinges on a truly genuine story that alone has the power to keep audiences hooked. It is this authenticity that keeps the film rolling through the few scenes where the film has the tendency to drag on.

The reason why McGinly’s screenplay feels so real is because he actually lived the words he penned. The film is based on the McGinly’s experiences as road manager for The Amazing Kreskin, a famous 1970s mentalist.

In the film, Troy Gable (Colin Hanks, “The House Bunny”) is a law student who drops out of school in hopes of finding a career that suits his desires and not his father’s (Colin’s off-screen dad, Tom Hanks, “Charlie Wilson’s War”). In dire need of money and a purpose, Gable takes on a temporary job as the road manager for Buck Howard (John Malkovich, “Burn After Reading”), a pretentious, has-been mentalist who continues to perform his awe-inspiring effects to half-empty theaters. However, a lucky stroke of fate ends up dropping Howard back into American consciousness, prompting Gable to stick around for the ride.

What gives this film its heartwarming charm is its wholesome, squeaky-clean persona. Although the movie deals with adult themes, its PG rating severely restricts the amount of adult content allowed in the film. Yet, surprisingly, this actually results in a better movie. By keeping things simple and pure, McGinly creates a rather nostalgic atmosphere and places the focus on the heart of the matter, the story’s uplifting message. McGinly even manages to make the budding relationship between Gable and Valerie (Emily Blunt, “Sunshine Cleaning”), Howard’s fiery publicist, passionate without utilizing the conventional onscreen sex scene.

Although the film would have benefited from a little more humor and a little less drama, it still has its fair share of laughs, most of which are centered around Malkovich’s outlandish Buck Howard. After his unexpected spike in popularity, Howard goes on a publicity tour, during which he amusingly demeans and butchers the names of noted talk show hosts like Conan O’Brien, Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa, Jon Stewart and Martha Stewart (all make onscreen cameos).

While the film does not feature any eye-catching visual effects, it is an excellent showcase for the original cinematic magic — quality acting. Regardless of whether he is onstage performing and shouting well-worn catchphrases or having one of his frequent drama queen tirades, Malkovich truly is the great Buck Howard. As the director, McGinly gives the always absurd Malkovich the freedom to take this role to the fullest and that is exactly what he does. The result is a standout performance with Malkovich doing what he does best, which is being John Malkovich.

Despite the fact he will probably always be under his dad’s immense shadow, Colin Hanks has developed into a decent actor over the years and gives a noteworthy performance. Although his acting is not exactly spot-on in the film, his inherited charisma and endearing smile are enough to make you overlook his pitfalls.

The film also benefits from a stellar supporting cast that includes one of the greatest actors in the history of film, Mr. Tom Hanks himself, the multi-talented Blunt as a slightly less fashionable, yet, just as radiant version of her character in “The Devil Wears Prada” and a hilarious Steve Zahn (“Sunshine Cleaning”) as a loyal, stalkerish fan of Howard.

In the end, “The Great Buck Howard” is a movie about the magical world of a mentalist, but the film’s true magic lies within the cast’s powerful performances and the story and its inspiring message about love. The film is not perfect by any means, but it is certainly one worth seeing, especially as a calm before the fast-approaching blockbuster storm.

4 stars out of 5.