Wrecking Ball finishes building with a bash

With the demolition of Union South quickly approaching and the building shutting its doors on Dec. 19, the Wisconsin Union Directorate will host one last bash with The Wrecking Ball, a free event held Friday designed to entertain and amuse but mostly to commemorate the building.

“I think it is important to celebrate the commemoration of Union South because it has played a big role on campus since it was built in the 1970s,” said WUD Vice President of Public Relations, Shira Weiner. “It’s been a popular place for students, and this is a chance for students to come together for one last celebration there. Also, every student on campus is contributing to the new south campus union so it is important that we have fun events like this that highlight the building project and what students are going to gain.”

The festivities kick off tonight with dance lessons. Between 6 and 8 p.m., the Badger Ballroom Dance Team and the University of Wisconsin Ballroom Dance Association will teach students how to twirl, dip and jive in room 240. Following the lessons, everyone will have the opportunity to practice their steps in a swing dance session, held until midnight. During the swing dancing session, from 10 to 11 p.m., the UW Big Band, the student jazz ensemble, will perform in this same room.

According to Weiner, Club 770 will also be hosting a dance party from 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. featuring DJ Nick Nice, Mike Carlson, Wyatt Agard and Cykophuk.

“They are all popular local DJs and some of them have performed at Club 770 throughout its history at Union South,” Weiner said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald. One DJ, DJ Nick Nice, is well-known in the Midwest and internationally. He has played in Moscow and joins Brad Owen to make music of their own as The Regionalists.

Throughout the night there will be free popcorn and other snacks. In addition, the Global Connections Committee will offer international dishes in a mini Taste of Cultures program that promises delicious food from other countries in the Main Lounge.

Between getting their groove on and eating, students can also take advantage of their last chance to bowl and sing karaoke at Union South in the games room from 9 p.m. to midnight for free.

The night will come to a close with a showing of the 1974 classic “Young Frankenstein,” starring Milwaukee-born Gene Wilder (“Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory “) and Peter Boyle (“Everybody Loves Raymond”) at midnight.

However, one object will be notably absent at the event: a wrecking ball. Anyone hoping to get a glimpse at the force that will be taking down Union South will not be able to see a massive demolition at The Wrecking Ball party — or any other time, for that matter.

“There won’t actually be a wrecking ball per [se],” Weiner said. “In our strive to make the building of the new south campus union as environmentally sustainable as possible the building will be torn down so that pieces can be recycled.”

All of The Wrecking Ball activities will be today, Friday Dec. 5 at Union South, 227 N. Randall Ave. For more information about the new south campus union, see www.newunion.wisc.edu.